Operating 2014 Limited After Low Transmission Fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm vetting repair nearby facilities and remanufactured transmission choices. Currently leaning towards a Jasper.
I have no personal experience with Jasper, but I have heard of quality issues on their rebuilt engines. Not sure if it translates to the transmissions. Good luck, keep us posted.

Denninc

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, please, as I don't want to pay for expensive servicing if it is unnecessary: this problem seems like it would be accompanied by a transmission fluid leak. I haven't seen a leak of any kind. I had a coolant leak recently but have successfully repaired it. I will crawl under and check this to be sure.
Yes you would think so...

However... Here's how it went for me.

I live in Brooklyn and my kids drove the mountaineer. Daughter was coming over the Varanzanno Bridge and the trans stopped engaging. She coasted to the bottom and rolled off the bridge at the 1st exit. (Lucky for me she was only a couple miles away)

When I got to her the car had cooled down and I started it up, like you, the trans engaged. I drove it to my local mechanic. He put it up on the lift said it was more than a quart low but did not see any leaks coming from the pan and as far as he was concern it was operating fine. Told me to take it home and keep it local to see if it happens again.

I drove it for more than a month (didn't keep it local after the 1st week) when I noticed it was slow to engage on startup. Started my internet search and came across that video above.... and I bought the little plastic part.

I contemplated doing it myself but I didn't want to make a Problem become a bigger problem, so I took it back to my mechanic. When I dropped it off I gave him the part and told him what it was and asked him to change it. (He looked at me funny and said sure thing... I never bring him parts)

He dropped the pan change the gasket and replaced the part... When I picked it up he thanked me for the part because he said it was spitting trans fluid and when he went to remove the old part, it broke apart in his hands. Said because of the location it was not easy to see, even on the lift. (Also stated how stupid the design was not to have a dipstick you could get to.)

My Mountaineer was a 2010 V8 with roughly 120k miles on it when this occurred and was about 10 years old...

good luck.. YMMV