Ordered an air intake!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking forward to your thoughts! And maybe a sound clip if possible... I was actually looking at the options from afe yesterday. Did you happen to find it on sale somewhere?

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I originally ordered an AFE unit for an F150 but it didn't fit and the one for the expidition was twice the price so I got the vortex unit that has a closed box that I'm liking better.
Without a tune you won't gain alot.
5star says they are all about the same

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d be interested if one would let the turbos sing. I’ve been really let down by the lack of whistle. Coming from a diesel I’m used to hearing it spool up. Every so often I get just a small sound of it. Even under boost as says the gauge.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even with an open lid box the turbos can’t make to much noise. They are so small compared to a diesel. You can vent the blow off to atmosphere. The Turbosmart plug and play makes a loud PHSsst sound for the same price as an intake. I had the S&B filter on my F-150. The fit and finish was great. No extra noise or power came from it though. The one posted above at least looks really cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Even with an open lid box the turbos can’t make to much noise. They are so small compared to a diesel. You can vent the blow off to atmosphere. The Turbosmart plug and play makes a loud PHSsst sound for the same price as an intake. I had the S&B filter on my F-150. The fit and finish was great. No extra noise or power came from it though. The one posted above at least looks really cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I read the EB turbos are 51mm(only 2") Installing a new air box for noise, is one of the dumbist things I heard of in a while. The factory airbox may have an air silencer, that can be removed.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah yeah... Beggers can't be choosers...
When you don't have an exhaust note you can really let sing, intake is the only other option and imho a better one because it is only noisy when you are getting on it. Size of turbo doesn't have nearly the same effect on noise as the piping to and from the turbo.

The intake silencers on my other vehicle are actually on the intercooler piping, if you still want more volume after the intake you might want to look into that. I probably won't bother until I upgrade the IC.

Robert McMillan

17plati
Reaction score
I read the EB turbos are 51mm(only 2") Installing a new air box for noise, is one of the dumbist things I heard of in a while. The factory airbox may have an air silencer, that can be removed.
Thts the only thing you’ll get is noise, unless you’re tuned