Ordering Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Expy, bought used in 2010. Been waiting for the redesign, thought it would be 2-3 years. I drove a 2018 Max yesterday and really like it. A few questions. I was hoping for load leveling with the Nivomat shocks, but they're apparently not available on the 4th Gen. Doesn't sound like it's a big deal, though. I tow a 4000# boat/trailer 1000 miles to the coast for a week each year and don't really have any plans at this time to go bigger. I'll be ordering the 4WD, which already includes the 3.73 differential on the Max. So, it looks like if I ordering the HD twing package, I would just get the HD radiator and some electronic crap for my $1500. No? Also, it seems like the longer wheel base would reduce the squat while towing. Thoughts? My tow capacity would be 6000#, which should be fine. Looks like even with the HD package you can't get to 9000# without a WDH, as 900# tongue weight seems like a lot? Thoughts?

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You do get the 3.73 rear end, radiator, integrated trailer brake controller, and added electronics. If you are getting 4wd you also get 2 speed transfer case.

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The HD trailer package also includes the pro backup assist plus the integrated brake controller. Don't know if you want the backup assist, but some people really like the way it makes it easier to back up a trailer. Other folks prefer to do it in the traditional manual way. Don't know exactly how to comment about the 900-lb tongue weight. The general rule of thumb is that about 10% of the trailer weight should be on the tongue; therefore, a 9000 lb trailer could be expected to have about a 900-lb tongue weight. Max trailer weight without the HD package (and with the 3.31 axle) on a Max 4x4 is 6000 lbs. The HD package with the 3.73 is 9000 lbs. You can find the detailed tow specs for different configurations on page 30 of the 2018 Ford towing guide.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Expy, bought used in 2010. Been waiting for the redesign, thought it would be 2-3 years. I drove a 2018 Max yesterday and really like it. A few questions. I was hoping for load leveling with the Nivomat shocks, but they're apparently not available on the 4th Gen. Doesn't sound like it's a big deal, though. I tow a 4000# boat/trailer 1000 miles to the coast for a week each year and don't really have any plans at this time to go bigger. I'll be ordering the 4WD, which already includes the 3.73 differential on the Max. So, it looks like if I ordering the HD twing package, I would just get the HD radiator and some electronic crap for my $1500. No? Also, it seems like the longer wheel base would reduce the squat while towing. Thoughts? My tow capacity would be 6000#, which should be fine. Looks like even with the HD package you can't get to 9000# without a WDH, as 900# tongue weight seems like a lot? Thoughts?
The 3.73 rear end only comes with the HD towing package (or the FX4), it is not included just by ticking the 4x4 box.

OP
OP
P

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like I messed up on the "Build and Price" section. But in the specifications it says that the 4X4 Max comes with the 3.73 final drive. Which is correct? I was told the HD Tow package with the 3.73 diff will decrease my mileage by 3MPG. That doesn't sound right.

Also, under Chassis Specifications on the Ford website it says that the rear suspension mechanical load leveling is an option. Is that correct?

Last edited:

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The consensus seems to be that they got rid of the load leveling shocks for the 4th gen and just have the CCD suspension or regular plain Jane shocks. Also go back to the Ford website and look at the power & handling specifications instead of the chassis specs. No mention of optional load leveling suspension, just the CCD. If you look at the power & handling specs for the 2017 Expedition you’ll see it says optional load leveling suspension.

I stopped by a dealer today because they had a 2018 GT350 I wanted to get a look at. While we were walking around I looked at the row of Expys. They had a few Xlts, a few limiteds and a Platinum. The Platinum had the CCD of course. All the others just said Multilink Independed Rear Suspension on the window sticker. None said Mechanical Load Leveling Rear Suspension like the sticker on my 17 did. All the limiteds came with the HD towing setup because I could see the brake controllers. On all the 17s I looked at the Load leveling was pretty much standard if you had HD towing

OP
OP
P

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't mind the standard suspension because I'll be getting the standard 18" rims. Appears that the CCD helps with the 22" wheels. Doesn't seem like the load leveling suspension will be of much benefit for standard towing, as it doesn't increase the tow capacity. My current 2008 does fine. Anybody know how much the HD towing package hurts mileage?

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nothing will increase towing capacity unless you get bigger axels and the tires to match. The load leveling suspension is a huge benefit and IMO hurt the towing ability of the new model tremendously. I'm not sure how you can say the trucks ability to level a load and reduce squat on its own is not a benefit but whatever. There is a video floating around on here of some guys pulling a 5000# horse trailer and the squat on the Expedition is ridiculous. With a 4000# boat in tow you'll be fine, HD tow package or not. My wifes MDX has a higher tow rating then that.

Its not going to change the MPG's that much. Only difference is HD is 3.73 rear and non HD is 3.31. Its been proven on here if you drive it easy you can hang in the 20+ mpg range all day. But with that said if you're looking for good gas mileage the Expedition Max is probably not a good buy

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a 4000# boat/trailer 1000 miles to the coast for a week each year and don't really have any plans at this time to go bigger. Thoughts?
Which coast and what time of year? I don't think I'd want to tow much of anything over the mountains and through the desert without the heavy duty radiator. If you're just going from Oklahoma City to South Padre Island every spring, I suppose you might be ok without the extra cooling capacity...