Ordering Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordalways

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure what the pro back assist does, but I'm pretty proficient at backing up.

There’s a few YouTube videos showing the trailer backup assistant in action. Let go of the wheel and steer with the knob. Presumably the sensors monitor obstructions and guide you around them but it’s not well explained. The knob has a center decent so it should be easy to back in a straight line. One caveat is that you must affix a target sticker at a specific location on the tongue. The trailer size and wheelbase to ball are stored in memory. The backup camera monitors the position of the target and calculates the angle. For this to work the sticker cannot be obstructed by a jack post or LP tanks found on travel trailers so few may be able to use this feature if they wanted to. I’m content to back the old fashioned way.

If I misunderstand how this works, please enlighten me. I find the largest knob on the dash to be useless as I tow a travel trailer.

Fordalways

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The owners manual also mentions setting up the trailer-mounted TPMS and camera system (which is available accessory on Super Duty trucks), but no one can give me an answer about whether or not it is actually available for the Expy. The parts manual shows compatibility only for the Super Duty. I asked my dealer the same question about why would it be in the manual. His reply: that first-edition manuals often contain errors. I suppose they may cut and paste sections of other manuals when putting together new ones. In the case of the self-leveling suspension, maybe the manual contains it in error.

I inquired with the service writer I know at the local dealership when I took delivery of ours last month. His response was discouraging as he that the supported trailer wheels should be steel and that a 2nd 7-pin connector was needed for the TPMS and camera feed. He was unsure if the trailer camera showed up on the center screen, but if not, where? He didn’t know anyone in the area who had installed this optional feature.

I use a TireMinder TPMS for our trailer. The sensors replace the valve stem caps and transmit wirelessly to a small display that’s Velcro attached to the dash.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I called my local Ford dealer and spoke with the parts guy. His Dad just bought a 2018 Platinum and it does come with load leveling shocks standard. Kinda puts the lie to the threads that bad mouth the 2018 vs 2017 because of squat when towing.

The parts guy doesn't know what he's talking about

The Platinum only comes with one package the 600B and optional HD towing package if you so choose to get it
These are the standard features on the Platinum. Funny I don't see Load Leveling Suspension on there

Standard Features
Power and Handling
  • 3.5L EcoBoost® Engine

• Auto Stop-Start Technology
  • 10-Speed SelectShift® Automatic Transmission

• Battery saver
  • 23.3-gallon fuel tank
  • ABS with Brake Assist and EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution)
  • Rear-Wheel Drive
  • Fully boxed frame
  • Suspension-Multilink Independent Rear suspension
  • Electronic Power-Assist (EPAS) rack-and-pinion steering
  • Front and rear stabilizer bars
  • AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™ (RSC®)
  • Electronic Stability Control
  • Non-limited-slip 3.15 rear axle (4x2 only)
  • Non-limited-slip 3.31 rear axle
  • Trailer Sway Control
  • Terrain Management System™ (4x4 only)
  • Selectable Drive Modes
  • Traction Control
  • Continuously controlled damping (CCD) suspension
  • Hill Start Assist and Hill Descent Control™ (included on 4x4 models only)

• 22-inch Polished Aluminum
  • Underbody-mounted full-size spare tire
  • P285/45R22 all-season tires

This is from the actual brochure on the Expedition

ASCEND THE SUMMIT WITH PLATINUM

You’ve reached the pinnacle. Up here, 22" polished

aluminum wheels command attention. Power-deployable

running boards with polished stainless accents extend

to give you a lift. An enhanced 3.5L EcoBoost® engine

delivers 400 horsepower1 and 480 lb.-ft. of torque.1 While

a continuously controlled damping (CCD) suspension

makes adjustments in milliseconds to help improve vehicle

control. Inside, enjoy the most luxurious Expedition.

Real wood accents. Perforated inserts and quilted bolsters

that define the luxury leather-trimmed, heated and

ventilated multicontour front seats with Active Motion.®

And every driver-assist technology that Expedition offers

is at your service. This is Platinum. Enjoy the view.

and appears to be OEM on the 2018s.

No it doesn't

Correct, it would level in the first few meters of driving.

No you have to drive it for a couple of miles over 20mph for it to level out. It uses the imperfections in the road to pump up the shocks

Last edited:

Fordalways

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Platinum only comes with one package the 600B and optional HD towing package if you so choose to get it
These are the standard features on the Platinum. Funny I don't see Load Leveling Suspension on there

It’s my understanding that the CCD and the load leveling suspension are mutually exclusive. If you’re towing a trailer with a weight distributing hitch, you use the hitch’s spring bars to get the Expy leveled. On the other hand it appears that if you stuff a pair of sumo wrestlers in the 3rd row with the CCD, it seems like your headlights may be scanning the trees for possums. I’m sure as more of us have experience we will learn more.

In addition the specified full service spare is not a P285/45R22. Mine came with a P265/70R17

Last edited:

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I inquired with the service writer I know at the local dealership when I took delivery of ours last month. His response was discouraging as he that the supported trailer wheels should be steel and that a 2nd 7-pin connector was needed for the TPMS and camera feed. He was unsure if the trailer camera showed up on the center screen, but if not, where? He didn’t know anyone in the area who had installed this optional feature.

I use a TireMinder TPMS for our trailer. The sensors replace the valve stem caps and transmit wirelessly to a small display that’s Velcro attached to the dash.

Thanks for the info. The Super Duty trucks come with the 7-pin connector ready to plug into the TPMS and camera kit; however, I understand that it is hidden above the spare tire. But it simply replaces the standard one that is already in use; the kit also comes with a new trailer plug with the appropriate connector that replaces the original trailer connector.

Regarding the wheels, I have not seen that being steel is a requirement; however, to quote from the parts listing: "note: wheel sensors only fit wheels with J-type flange wider than 3.5 in (88.9 mm) and a .452 in (11.48 mm) valve stem hole stem hole." Supposedly most common wheels, whether steel or aluminum, meet those specifications. Maybe someone else can confirm?

Yes, the camera is designed to display on the center screen with this kit. I also use a similar TPMS like you do; however, the beauty of the kit is that everything is integrated into the Ford's center display and you don't have to mount a separate TMPS monitor anywhere.

OP
OP
P

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe the LLS shocks are standard except for those with CCD, which would obviously require different shocks. Guess I'll know when it gets here. Not a big deal as my current one tows my 4000# boat/trailer fine, and I ordered the MAX. The extra wheelbase can only help. If I want to go bigger it would be better to have a WDH anyway, since the tongue weight is typically 10%. I also went with the 18" wheels for a better ride without paying for the CCD. Never really thought of an Expedition doing autocross, so don't know why a "Sport" mode would be advantageous.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do the 18" wheels rele make the ride that much better than the 20s? As smooth as the ride is i kick myself for not gettin the ccd. If ford offered the ccd with the 20s i swear the ride would compete more with luxury sedans than it would with truck based suvs. The std suspension as is is a tad bit too firm at times.

OP
OP
P

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's why I ordered the 18" wheels. A bit more sidewall compliance can't hurt. Plus, the larger rims seem more vulnerable to getting dinged up when going off road.

Last edited: