Ordering parts using online retailers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2011EL

Reaction score
Sorry for the rant I'm about to embark on, but I feel it necessary to share my recent experiences. Please note, these are my experiences only, but they are factual and I have photos. That said, I recently ordered control arms from RockAuto and FordPartsGiant for my wife's 2011 Expy as neither storefront had all of the parts I needed together. So, FordPartsGiant handled the front upper and lower control arms while RockAuto provided the rear lower control arms. Sadly, BOTH companies provided the worst shipping experience. No joke.

Through this experience I've learned a few things about each company.
- RockAuto provides zero ways for a customer to speak with, chat with, or email concerns. The only thing they let you do is purchase parts online and return them. Nothing more and nothing less.
- FordPartsGiant is nothing more than a call center of sorts that subs out all orders to dealerships around the country. Meaning, they have no control over how orders are handled by the respective dealers. But, they do provide a phone number for you to speak with a representative about your concerns.

So, the dealership that FordPartsGiant sub'd my order out to placed all FOUR control arms for the front in a single box. That box, mind you, was used previously and was well worn at this point. They also used a couple strips of the large "bubble" wrap. It was more of the large air pockets companies like Amazon use to fill the space in a box and prevent items from shifting. Well, as you can imagine, large air pocket style bubble wrap does absolutely nothing to prevent FOUR steal control arms from moving. It also does nothing to protect the ball joints as the 57 lbs of steel parts bang around in the large box while FedEx has their way with it for a week in transit.

This is what was in the box...
20211130_131456 (1).jpg

More than half of the air pockets were popped by the time the box got to me. FedEx, being the amazing shipper they are, dropped the box on my doorstep and ran back to their truck. I know this because I went to open my garage when I saw the truck pull up. The driver was already back in his truck and starting it up by the time my garage door opened. I walked out of the garage and we locked eyes before he hit the gas and left. I turned as he was leaving and saw the box... and it made sense why he left in a hurry. The ball joints were loose AF and made weird noises when moved. I can't trust the integrity of those ball joints.

As upset as I was/am with the packaging/shipping job, I was irate when I realized RockAuto intentionally made it impossible to ever speak or exchange thoughts with a human. So, I typed up a note on why I was returning the parts, re-taped the box, and dropped it off at the local shipping store. We'll see how they process the return.

Now, I immediately called FordPartsGiant as soon as I walked inside after opening that box from RockAuto and asked how they were planning to package the rear control arms. The lady simply said they haven't received the parts yet from Ford and couldn't tell me how they would be packaged. Fair enough. I told her I'd wait for delivery and we'd go from there.

Fast forward 4 days... I was outside cleaning/reorganizing my garage as I was awaiting the package from FordPartsGiant along with my new QuickJack 7000TLX lift. Thankfully, I was out there when the FedEx driver rolled up. I met him at the back of his truck and I'm glad I did. The box from FordPartGiant containing the (2) rear control arms was worse than the other box from RockAuto. There was a big hole on the side of it allowing me to put my entire hand inside. Again, the ball joints made clicking noises and the box was older than me (and I'm not young). The driver looked at me and the box and asked if I wanted to accept it. Ummm... no. Please send it back to the shipper.

The next day, I received another package from FordPartsGiant with the remaining trailing arms and other rear suspension parts. Thankfully, this shipment was placed in what appears to be a once-used Amazon box. More importantly, each of the parts were in separate boxes from Ford. So, this was a win.

I called FordPartGiant this morning and told them what happened. That's when the lady explained they're just a call center and don't handle any shipping or parts. They farm out the orders to dealers around the country. I told her that I was unhappy which whichever dealer provided the control arms and wanted a refund for those parts. She submitted an RMA request for me.

Sorry for the long winded rant. The moral to my story is to vet the stores you're buying parts from and ensure they have a clue on how to package and protect your purchases. Also, make sure the company offers you a way to communicate with a human regarding any issues should one arise.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I have been having the same troubles lately, specifically with Rock Auto but also with other parts vendors. Shippers are also a problem with poor handling and delays. It appears that more and more businesses only care about the bottom line in a price-competitive market and provide no service at all. Rock Auto, for example has horrible return policies and often leave you no choice but to back-charge your credit card. Add to this the supply problems caused by new government regulations and it's quite challenging getting parts in a timely and reliable manner. You're not alone.

OP
OP

2011EL

Reaction score
Rock Auto, for example has horrible return policies and often leave you no choice but to back-charge your credit card.
I plan to call my credit card company (USAA) if RockAuto fails to refund the full amount of my purchase. As much as I haaaaaate FedEx (and I really, really do hate FedEx with a passion), I believe this falls on the seller as they chose to improperly pack and protect the parts in a well used box. This is solely on RockAuto. FedEx didn't help with their crappy handling of packages.

I called Haag Ford in Indiana yesterday as I've bought a number of parts from them over the last 2-3 years. Told them of my issues with the control arms. They explained that Ford doesn't provide control arms with any packaging to protect them. But, Haag's part dept will wrap the parts to protect the ball joints so they aren't damaged during shipping. They also only use UPS due to the issues I noted with FedEx. So, I went online yesterday and placed an order for 6 new control arms (4 in front and 2 in the rear) with Haag. I'll update this thread next week when I get the parts from Haag.

Fingers crossed...

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
RockAuto has truly awful customer service. I ordered heater hoses from them several years ago and it took 3 tries before they sent me one wherein the tag had not been stapled through the hose. The 3rd hose they sent was bent up and not ideal, but I kept it anyway. All along the way RockAuto was nasty about it and acted as if I was trying to scam them. Not once did I ever ask for anything other than a replacement hose.

Following that fiasco, I didn't order from them for a couple of years. I finally relented and ordered a blend door actuator. They sent me the wrong one and when I requested a refund, they replied (paraphrasing): "Our parts supplier has this part number listed as the correct part, so this isn't our fault. Since it wasn't your fault or ours, we will split the cost of the return with you." Um, no. This is YOUR parts supplier and I have no relationship or contract with them. You refund me in full and then you work out whatever you want with them. Ultimately, they refused to give me a full refund so I filed a dispute with my bank and promptly won because the law was on my side.

Now I rarely order from RockAuto. Their pricing is competitive, but I'm usually only saving 10% or less over the next cheapest supplier on any given part and I know that if there is a problem (which is often) RockAuto isn't going to make it right without a fight.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've always bought things local especially suspension parts. That way I can see what shape they are in as they cross the counter. No waiting around for a shipment that may or may not get lost en route.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Our problem here in the metropolitan New York area is that virtually all the independent parts houses are gone. We're left with the chain stores that only carry the cheapest import garbage at high prices. Unless I want to go to the dealers, who here charge list price plus 20%, I'm stuck with mail order.

Here anyone with a job leases a new car, so the only people working on cars are the poorest of the poor and they want the cheapest of the cheap when it comes to parts. Since they don't work, they don't mind doing the job over every six months or monkeying around with junk that doesn't fit right.

Last edited:
OP
OP

2011EL

Reaction score
I've always bought things local especially suspension parts.
I used to do that until I realized the enormous markup my local Ford dealer in Houston was charging. Everything is MSRP or above. Haag Ford (actual Ford dealer in Indiana) sells most parts for around 35% off list price (plus shipping). That's a huge savings for big jobs. I don't mind buying smaller items from the local dealer like the blend door actuators and other random items as the savings is minimal. Ordering all of the suspension parts from Haag Ford literally saved me somewhere in the neighborhood of about $500.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to do that until I realized the enormous markup my local Ford dealer in Houston was charging. Everything is MSRP or above. Haag Ford (actual Ford dealer in Indiana) sells most parts for around 35% off list price (plus shipping). That's a huge savings for big jobs. I don't mind buying smaller items from the local dealer like the blend door actuators and other random items as the savings is minimal. Ordering all of the suspension parts from Haag Ford literally saved me somewhere in the neighborhood of about $500.
I'm talking about local as in NAPA or whatever. Never the dealer! Or ****** City, take your pick.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm talking about local as in NAPA or whatever. Never the dealer! Or ****** City, take your pick.

NAPA are crooks. We have a bunch of them here and while the corporate-owned are usually more competitive than the franchised locations, I can usually even get a given part at Advance for less than any of the NAPA locations.