over paylod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acul1977

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a problem and I don't know if Ford Expedition 2019,2020,2021 can do that kind of job.
My data: we are 7 persons who weight 600 kg (1360-1400 lbs). We have a trailer with GVWR 7700 lb (Kodiak 27SBH).
Can Expedition carry those load (7 persons and the trailer).
I know that the payload of Ford Expedition is 1700 lb and we have 2000 lb approximately.
Our solution for now is to have two cars (VW Tuareg for the trailer and Honda Pilot for the persons) but I want to fusion two cars in one only. We use a weight distribution bars, we have a brake control on Tuareg, etc. we are some experience towing a trailer with VW Tuareg.
What to you think? Should I buy an Expedition 2019,2020,2021 to replace the two other cars?
Thanks for your advice!
Best regards from Canada

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You would likely be over payload. There's a Google Drive sheet with actual payloads for the Expedition. Are these 7 adults? Using your numbers, total weight averages to 200 lbs. If these are adults and children, more accurate weighing might be in order. Don't forget, belongings go in the camper, and you need to include the hitch in the tongue weight. The trailer can be loaded below max GVWR, but that still would not preserve enough payload to carry a full contingent of 200lb people. Your next best option would be an HD van, like the NV3500.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You’d be fine. The towing and payload numbers on these vehicles are extremely conservative and the expedition is about the best tow vehicle you can get. We’ve towed over both limits all across the continent.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I know that the payload of Ford Expedition is 1700 lb.
Really? My 2017 XLT is just over 1400 pounds (640kg in the Great White North).

Maximum towing capacity of the Expedition with the HD Tow option is 9200 (maybe 9300) pounds but only when the truck is empty. That's reduced pound for pound with any cargo or passengers. You get a "free" 150 pound driver but the other passengers count and decrease the towing capacity. Six at 200 pounds (1200 pounds total) drops the max tow to roughly 8000 pounds just above your 7700 pound trailer's weight.

But it's not just towing capacity. Easy to run out of cargo capacity. The tongue weight of that trailer will be 770 (10%) to 1155 (15%) pounds. Guess where that weight comes from -- yep the cargo capacity. Even at a 1700 pound cargo capacity (which I doubt but would love to be wrong) a nomimal 1000 pounds on the ball plus those 1200 pounds of people still puts you at least 500 pounds overweight.

-- Chuck

Attachments

• IMG_6980.JPG
    IMG_6980.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

timo482

Reaction score
An excursion would just make your numbers Yes they are old but nobody makes a 3/4 ton suv anymore

BrianM

Reaction score
Although the GVWR of that trailer is 7700 lbs, the dry weight is something like 5200 lbs, so unless you plan to load it with 2500 lbs, your trailer would likely be quite a bit less than 7700 lbs.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Absent actual loaded weights the GVWR should be the planning number. Advertised dry weight is pure fiction that seems to be used to convince folks they can tow the trailer. Doubtful the camper weighed this little sitting on the dealer's lot. The weight adds up surprisingly fast and is sometimes difficult to keep it below max capacity. Don't forget to add basic things not included in the dry weight like water (drinking and waste), deep cycle batteries, and all the "stuff" for passengers which ain't gonna fit in the Expedition with all the seats in use.

"I wish I had less towing capacity." said no one ever.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
A

acul1977

Reaction score
Although the GVWR of that trailer is 7700 lbs, the dry weight is something like 5200 lbs, so unless you plan to load it with 2500 lbs, your trailer would likely be quite a bit less than 7700 lbs.
all the weights that I have posed are at the maximum. If there's a chance tjat will work to the max, it'll work with less weight, that's for sure. But the question remains. Will this work with 7 persons (200lbs each) and a full trailer (GVWR = 7700lbs)?

s1000pre

Reaction score
You’d be fine. The towing and payload numbers on these vehicles are extremely conservative and the expedition is about the best tow vehicle you can get. We’ve towed over both limits all across the continent.

No, you might not be fine. “If” you were involved in an accident, and way over on payload. Good luck getting yours or the other guys insurance to pay out. You might even end up in a lawsuit. I went with a 2022 XLT Max, door sticker limits me to 1,780lbs. Your tongue weight is going to be in the 700-1000lb range when you load up with gear. You’ll be way over with 8 adults.