Overdrive light blinking sensor??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOOSEHEAD

Reaction score
2002 EXPEDITION 70k+ MILES. PROBLEM, OVERDRIVE LIGHT CONSTANLY BLINKS AFTER WARM UP. TRIED ADJUSTING AND CLEANING THE NEAUTRAL SHIFT SENSOR AND THEN THE BUTTON WORKED, STOPPED FLASHING TILL IT WARMED UP AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ALSO ON. I PULLED THE BATTERY AND LIGHT WENT OFF, AND BLINKING LIGHT STOPPED, AGAIN TILL WARMED UP, FAILED NJ INSPECTION SO I MUST FIX IT FAST. IVE READ IT IS THE WIRING. POSSABLY BURNT. CAUSING A SHORT. BUT WHERE DO I LOOK. I CANT FIND. ALSO READ ITS THE SENSOR IN THE REAR? IS IT A SENSOR THAT IS IN OR OUTSIDE THE TRANNY?. HELLLLLLP....SERIOUSLY FRUSTRATED

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't say on Expys but in Explorers the blinking OD light is an indication of impending transmission troubles. Better get it checked before it's too late.

Edit-
This is from the owners manual of a 97

Transmission control indicator
light (TCIL)
The TCIL ( OVERDRIVE OFF), located on the
end of the gearshift lever, may
flash steadily if a malfunction has
been detected. If the TCIL is
flashing, contact your Ford dealer
as soon as possible. If this
condition persists, damage to the
transmission could occur.

Last edited:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its a problem with the tranny not the sensor. go have the code pulled. mine is flashing at me after a while and its random when it does it. but not city driving its highway driving when it turns on. its either the torque converter or the torque converter solenoid for mine. so go get the codes pulled and itll tell you whats wrong.

OP
OP
M

MOOSEHEAD

Reaction score
Ok, got the codes: p1744 Torque Converter Clutch System Stuck in Off Position and p0743 P0743Torque Converter Clutch System Electrical failure.
Any ideas on how to fix it??

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do properly fix you need to know if you have good line pressure first, if line pressure is low then these problems show up..

most of the time it is a pluged filter but can also be a weak pump

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine did this the first year of service (97-98); the Blue Oval mechs/mgmt elected to replace the torque converter. Since then, regular filter changes every 25K since I tow a lot.