Overhead DVD entertainment console wiring question (2007 Expedition)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Discobee

Reaction score
I've removed the factory overhead DVD console and would like to install an aftermarket overhead monitor with a bigger screen. The Ford harness is this 32-pin thing...and all these wires. Does anyone know which color of the wires are for the 12v+ ignition and the ground- wire?

dvd harness.JPG dvd.jpg

OP
OP
Discobee

Discobee

Reaction score
Thank you for this! I tried to look all over the web and in this forum and could not find this diagram. Appreciate you so much!!

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No worries, ... hope everything works out

If you dont mind, can you take some pictures of how you mount the plate, I wanna put a 13.3" Android Drop-Down screen in my 16 and I'm reluctant to drop the headliner right now.

Maybe this will motivate me

OP
OP
Discobee

Discobee

Reaction score
Sure thing will do....still awaiting for the new unit to arrive. It looks like I may be able to mount the bracket at the screw locations in the red circle (getting a 12" overhead unit)...but the new unit will only take up the middle area of the headliner. There's going to be two big openings in the yellow square that is not going to look so nice exposed like that, so I'll have to figure out something for that as well.
headliner.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Discobee

Discobee

Reaction score
Thanks to the diagram, I cut off all the wires from that 32-pin connector and now I have the 12v+ & ground ready. But I also had to reunite the wires that are for the Rear L/R speakers by using butt connectors. When I cut off the wires, it caused the rear speakers to not work (front speakers still worked). So all I did was reunite the Brown/Yellow & Brown/Green which are for the rear left speakers + / - ....and the Brown/White & Brown/Blue for the rear right speakers + / - . Now all speakers are working again.

The plan is to mount the new overhead monitor by connecting the 12v+ & ground...then use the built in FM transmitter to play the media through the car stereo FM. The new monitor will have HDMI input and so rear seat passengers can watch Netflix cast onto the monitor during the longer drives.

Last edited:

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you tested the sound quality of the FM transmitter before you wrap it up ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure thing will do....still awaiting for the new unit to arrive. It looks like I may be able to mount the bracket at the screw locations in the red circle (getting a 12" overhead unit)...but the new unit will only take up the middle area of the headliner. There's going to be two big openings in the yellow square that is not going to look so nice exposed like that, so I'll have to figure out something for that as well.
View attachment 33393

if you check with junkyards online, you could possibly find a headliner w/ sunroof and NO overhead DVD player for $100 or less. Year models 07 thru 14

HollanderParts.com
LKQonline
Car-part.com
TeamPRP.com

OP
OP
Discobee

Discobee

Reaction score
Ok, the overhead monitor arrived today! Turns out I ordered a 15" size. The install was easy. I was able to line up 3 out of the 4 factory screw mounting location for the bracket. Also had to break off the two hook tabs that were present. Then screw in the monitor. Then connects the wires to the + / - and it was good to go. This monitor has 3 ways of listening to the audio: from the built in speakers, with the FM transmitter to play through the car speakers, or with the included IR headphones. It is the Xtrons brand model CR1506. And I don't even have any issue with the exposed headliner, it actually allows me to tuck in the wires and cables. My Expy has 156K miles already, and so it doesn't have to be perfect. The only thing I need to be careful about is that the 12V+ is always hot, so it needs to be manually powered off after using it.

Mounting the bracket:

xtrons1.jpg

Powering up mode (with LED interior light on):

xtrons2.jpg

DVD mode 16:9

xtrons3.jpg

HDMI mode with Google Chromecast casting Netflix from my phone:

xtrons4.jpg

Last edited: