Overheating ecoboost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was running 91 octane and I want to say 4th gear... but I'm not sure. I kept it under 3000 rpm.

Rod

Seems some people are having more luck with bumping the RPM up to increase waterflow... additionally, I think I'd be looking to drop in a 180 or 170 T-stat if you tow a lot. (especially in large grade areas)

While in theory this doesn't fix a "max temp" issue I believe there are aftermarket T-stats with a larger overall opening (allowing more flow) and it gives you a lower starting point/baseline when there is a potential to heat soak the cooling system.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think on the 15-17s you'll also need to reprogram to adjust the fan engagement temps.

reidar

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting... Next time I'm towing up a steep grade I'll drop a gear and keep the rpms in the 3-5k and see what happens. Now I'm curious...

Thanks all!
Rod

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting... Next time I'm towing up a steep grade I'll drop a gear and keep the rpms in the 3-5k and see what happens. Now I'm curious...

Thanks all!
Rod

Again, this is just from a ton of reading I've done on here and the F150 pages (don't own an EB yet) but "lugging" the engine seems to create the issue more frequently. Coolant flow is relatively low, while boost is high and turbos are running HOT. Bumping RPM increases flow, should drop the boost some and in theory help SOME in cooling everything down... let us know what you find out.

reidar

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, this is just from a ton of reading I've done on here and the F150 pages (don't own an EB yet) but "lugging" the engine seems to create the issue more frequently. Coolant flow is relatively low, while boost is high and turbos are running HOT. Bumping RPM increases flow, should drop the boost some and in theory help SOME in cooling everything down... let us know what you find out.

Will do. I'll take a screenshot of my TorquePro too when It's spiking. With inlet temperature and what gear I'm in.

Thanks Ian.
Rod

mactlc

Reaction score
My Ecoboost overheats too! I exhibit the same behavior as coolzzy on long steep grades with my foot in the gas.

I just took my 2017 Limited Expedition EL on the first big test up the IKE Guantlet. I drove from Frederick CO, through Denver then up over I-70, then down to Silverthorne. I had my 4 kids in the expedition, dog, and the trailer had a moderate amount of camping gear. I didn't weigh it this time but it was likely around 6500lbs in the trailer + our passengers/dog (750lbs).

The only time I experienced overheating was coming from the Denver side which is backwards from what you'd see in the youtube/IKE tests that TFLTruck performs. From the Denver side you end up climbing at 6-7% grades, you have some steep down hill runs, then some flat or gradual runs, and some really steep 6-7% runs. Overall though, coming from Denver side heading west, you experience a lot longer pulls. It's a harder test than what those youtube guys do...at least for engine temps.

I received the overheating/dash warning for the engine temperature when I had my foot about half way in to the throttle, the engine seemed to be handling the load just fine, it just must not have adequate cooling to handle the sustained grade. I will admit though, I was probably doing 65mph or a hair more when the light came on, and I had been going up a very long grade not giving the engine much break at all, once I backed off the throttle a bit, dropped it to about 55mph, it started to cool down. The gauge showed the temp around 3/4 of the way up, not in the red yet, once letting off the gas, it began to drop slowly. It took about 30 seconds to a minute or so come back down to reasonable mid range on the gauge. Once back to normal, I didn't have the issue again and just kept it around 60-65mph. If I hit a really steep long grade, I just watch the engine temp gauge, if it started to creep up, I'd slow down to 55 or 60 and it seemed to hold there.

On a side note, the ecoboost pulled the IKE gauntlet very easily compared to my old 8.1L vortec. It also pulled much better than the 2017 Sequoia I had....gotta love those turbos at high elevation.

I was thinking I could probably add a larger radiator, or maybe a lower temp thermostat, but honestly I probably shouldn't be doing more than 60mph up that pass anyway, so I'll just go a hair slower in a few spots to keep the temp down. I don't ever see much worse temperatures or grades than I do here in Colorado.

The only area that it didn't perform well was with the rear end wiggle. Compared to my old 3/4 ton Yukon it wiggles a lot with wind/semis, but it still wiggles a lot less than my Sequoia did. It was manageable, just not great with the wiggle. I have my WDH and 4 point anti sway setup pretty well, lots of end bar weight for the sway control, and I increased my rear tire pressure to almost max.
The same thing happened to me going from Denver to Breckenridge, however, I had made that climb many times before without issues. I came across a post on a different forum and they said a dirty air filter or non OEM filter can cause the over heat under load and quickly recover after boost stops. I purchased a Motorcraft air filter and like magic the overheating went away. The other forum also said stock thermostat is best but the aftermarket one I installed seams to work just fine. Also suggest a new radiator cap ever 5 years, I still have my original on my 2015 Expedition EL with HD tow (Just adding to this old thread Incase someone else has this issue).