Own a 2018 XLT, Have 2019 Limited Rental for the Week - Observations and Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MATT0404

Reaction score
I coincidentally ended up with a 2019 Limited Expedition for my rental this week while traveling for work. A couple things stand out to me after the first day and 500+ miles.
  1. This thing feels like it is much better tuned and more powerful than my 2018. Do the 2019's have different tuning? The difference is NOT subtle.
  2. I'm assuming this has the CCD suspension because it is leaps and bounds better on the highway than my XLT. Super smooth and handles bumps much better. That's not to say my XLT is lacking here, I'm just surprised by how much better the Limited is.
  3. It is substantially quieter inside the cabin. In my XLT standing water or snow slush that is kicked up on the underside of the vehicle result in a metallic, tinny sound. Water kicked up underneath the Limited is much quieter. I'm going to have to investigate how they achieved better cabin isolation; interior vs exterior treatments.
  4. B&O sound system, while better than standard XLT, is very underwhelming.
I'm really curious about the tuning aspect. The engine and transmission both seem more responsive and in sync with one another. Power delivery is also much more robust and linear. I'm wondering if I should be talking to my dealer about lack of power or if this is simply the result of revised tuning between model years. I've been seriously contemplating a tune recently, but not fully comfortable with warranty implications given I paid for the extended warranty. That said, I grew up driving and tuning turbo cars and I'm not sure I can resist the urge. Especially when the results would (or should) be even better than the Limited I'm driving now.

Note that I do have bigger tires than stock which sap power. However, they were just put on this weekend, so my reference point is a bone stock 202A XLT.

IMG_20190513_190108.jpg

Last edited:

julijn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I coincidentally ended up with a 2019 Limited Expedition for my rental this week while traveling for work. A couple things stand out to me after the first day and 500+ miles.
  1. This thing feels like it is much better tuned and more powerful than my 2018. Do the 2019's have different tuning? The difference is NOT subtle.
  2. I'm assuming this has the CCD suspension because it is leaps and bounds better on the highway than my XLT. Super smooth and handles bumps much better. That's not to say my XLT is lacking here, I'm just surprised by how much better the Limited is.
  3. It is substantially quieter inside the cabin. In my XLT standing water or snow slush that is kicked up on the underside of the vehicle result in a metallic, tinny sound. Water kicked up underneath the Limited is much quieter. I'm going to have to investigate how they achieved better cabin isolation; interior vs exterior treatments.
  4. B&O sound system, while better than standard XLT, is very underwhelming.
I'm really curious about the tuning aspect. The engine and transmission both seem more responsive and in sync with one another. Power delivery is also much more robust and linear. I'm wondering if I should be talking to my dealer about lack of power or if this is simply the result of revised tuning. I've been seriously contemplating a tune recently, but not fully comfortable with warranty implications given I paid for the extended warranty.

Note that I do have bigger tires than stock which sap power. However, they were just put on this weekend, so my reference point is a bone stock 202A XLT.

View attachment 29997
that one you have does not have the ccd suspension .. only came with the 22 inch rims and those are 18s.interseting.. I have a limited with the 302a package...I hope that when I put on that readylift, it doesn't mess up my smoothe ride..

OP
OP
MATT0404

MATT0404

Reaction score
that one you have does not have the ccd suspension .. only came with the 22 inch rims and those are 18s.interseting.. I have a limited with the 302a package...I hope that when I put on that readylift, it doesn't mess up my smoothe ride..
Thanks for the info. Really surprised it's not CCD. It's super comfortable on the highway and even around town. Might have to dig into the parts catalog to see if the shocks/struts are different between XLT and limited.

Edit: appears 4x4 XLT and non-CCD Limiteds share the same front and rear struts.

Different rear end gear ratios
I'll have to see if I can figure out what rear end is in it. Pretty sure my XLT is standard 3.31.

Last edited:

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the 2019 had the big knob on the dash where your little ash tray/storage cubby is, then is a tow package unit with 3.73's in it. The knob is to the left of the radio, and its the stupid trailer back up idiot driver assistance knob.
I purposely searched for a tow pack 302A because I wanted the CCD, and the 3.73's. If you have the ash tray/storage cubby, you have 3.31 gears which to me are simply a highway ratio. I wanted the 3.73's for grunt and I don't care about the MPG they hurt.

The limited "might" have extra sound deadening material in them, I don't know but I would think they do after what your experiences were. I know a little sound deadening makes a world of difference for the road noise.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think a lot of wat ur experiencing is its a bit newer. I think ford makes small build/tune changes every new my to make the cars feel fresher. Also, the ltds use different interior pieces which help with the interior ambiance.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depending on what size tires you go with it may be a tad more stiff. I went with 35s and it’s slightly noticeable, but nothin drastic. I may actually drop to 33/12.50/20s next time I need tires

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, @Deadman hit it with the 3.73s. Acceleration is much more noticeable with these gears so it’s going to feel way different than say 3.31s. Here’s a good reference chart I use to compare
D8C06050-F2D9-4BE0-825F-56333E70A3B1.jpeg

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I figured with a 10 speed it should already have a pretty serious overdrive, so I couldn't imagine buying one with 3.31's in it..... I kinda let the transmission overdrive handle the 3.73's mpg penalty and so far I'm very satisfied. I sure wouldn't want any lower numbered ratio. My neighbor has a F150 with 10 speed and Ecoboost 3.5 (he's not sure if he has 3.55's or what, but its NOT 3.73's) and we've compared the same hills and the same speeds with the cruise control on and his drops into 8th gear to climb the hills and mine usually stays in 10th, but at times drops to 9th. That alone will equate to a LOT less transmission wear over a lifetime on miles!
Just my opinion.,....

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, the sound system is very media and data dependent. If you listen to media with low quality, youll hear it and its kinda meh. But tune it right and listen to good quality music and its actually very very good.