Own a 2018 XLT, Have 2019 Limited Rental for the Week - Observations and Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MATT0404

MATT0404

Reaction score
I'd be inclined to blame the huge and heavy BFG KO2's
Those were just put on last weekend right before I left in the rental Limited. I didn't have time to change my point of reference due to bigger tires. They definitely ride a bit firmer, but not terribly different.

OP
OP
MATT0404

MATT0404

Reaction score
My kids car seats rattle like crazy, I hate hearing that noise in this brand new vehicle. It sounds like a beater because they rate when they are empty.
Same here! Drives me crazy!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed them and then took my mom for a ride in the new vehicle and she immediately asked what was rattling so much. ughhhh. lol

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have a hatch creak/rattle that the dealer has been unable to resolve as of yet.
Have you checked the license plate? Our minivan dealer only used two screws at the top to install the license plate. So the bottom rattled against the rear hatch and drove me crazy until I finally figured out what was happening and added two screws on the bottom.

OP
OP
MATT0404

MATT0404

Reaction score
Have you checked the license plate? Our minivan dealer only used two screws at the top to install the license plate. So the bottom rattled against the rear hatch and drove me crazy until I finally figured out what was happening and added two screws on the bottom.
I'll check the license plate but this is more of a creaking sound. Any time I accelerate from a stop, the hatch creaks. Dealer said they're going to take it into the body shop to check hatch alignment.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I completely agree, because when I searched for hold over 2018's recently there was very very few with the tow package. I nearly gave up and said forget it. I wasn't paying full coin for a 2019 as they chopped almost $20K off the hold over 18's!
I finally found one out of state that was a 302A tow pack in white!

I tow a boat that weighs under 4000# on the trailer about 3000 miles/year. I didn't opt for the tow package because I don't need the trailer assist, as I can back up just fine. The difference between the two axle ratios is about 11%. The difference between first and second gear is 36% for the 10-speed transmission, the overall difference between first and tenth is 7.44:1. I was comfortable that the transmission would more than compensate for the relatively minor difference in rear axle ratio. The standard radiator is more than up to the demands of towing the 6000# the truck is rated for without the tow package, so I saved the $1500. And, I'm getting over 20MPG average, so I'm happy with my choice. I really don't care about spirited driving in the truck, I have another car and a few motorcycles for that.

IMO, the tow package isn't really necessary if you're not towing heavy loads routinely.

doktoroktobor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a boat that weighs under 4000# on the trailer about 3000 miles/year. I didn't opt for the tow package because I don't need the trailer assist, as I can back up just fine. The difference between the two axle ratios is about 11%. The difference between first and second gear is 36% for the 10-speed transmission, the overall difference between first and tenth is 7.44:1. I was comfortable that the transmission would more than compensate for the relatively minor difference in rear axle ratio. The standard radiator is more than up to the demands of towing the 6000# the truck is rated for without the tow package, so I saved the $1500. And, I'm getting over 20MPG average, so I'm happy with my choice. I really don't care about spirited driving in the truck, I have another car and a few motorcycles for that.

IMO, the tow package isn't really necessary if you're not towing heavy loads routinely.
Not disagreeing, but doesn't the tow package add drive modes, 4H/4L, and the brake controller? Going off memory here, so I could be mistaken.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not disagreeing, but doesn't the tow package add drive modes, 4H/4L, and the brake controller? Going off memory here, so I could be mistaken.

No 4L is a deal breaker for sure, I believe you are correct. You can however get the FX4 package on an XLT if you want real 2 speed 4x4 without HD tow if I’m not mistaken.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Drive modes are standard. I don't need 4H/4L, as the Max isn't really a rock crawler with its long wheel base. Seems to me that AWD is at least as good as 4H/4L in most situations, anyway. Being able to direct torque to wheels with grip instantly is more responsive than locked differentials. I use AWD in snow, and when necessary, dirt roads up in our mountains. Works great. My boat trailer has surge brakes, so no need for a brake controller. It's about choosing those options that fit your own personal needs best.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni