Owners of 2015-2017 Models - is yours reliable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erzebet

Reaction score
Sorry, this is a long one...

I have a '16 XLT EL I purchased "used" in September of 2016 with 22K miles on in. It had a clean carfax and was a rental. It has been a great truck until some recent issues that are now causing me to question the reliability of it. The truck now has 45K on it.

The dealer cut the rotors and replaced the front brake linings in October of 2018 at 42K. In March of this year, I started to notice a "drag" or slight "shudder" in the driver's side front wheel. Seemed to happen intermittently but after I took my foot off the brake from a stop and pressed the accelerator to get going (i.e pulling out of driveway, out of a parking spot). Lasts about 10 seconds then smooth sailing.

On June 13th, I took it to dealer for oil/filter change and for them to check out front driver's side wheel. They changed oil, and said they could find nothing wrong with the wheel or front end and that the truck was safe to drive. While puling out of the dealer's parking lot - I felt that shudder yet again, but figured I'd just keep an "eye" on it.

On June 25th I started truck only to be presented with a low brake fluid warning. Checked fluid and it was well below min line - but no signs of leak under or around truck. This was strange as they usually top off funds when I take it for an oil change. Made appt with dealer for 29th. Started truck that morning, and pedal went to floor. Master Cylinder (MC) was empty - but no sign of leak. Called local mechanic who filled MC and bled brakes at each wheel. Said brakes seemed fine. Within a half mile of driving it - low brake fluid warning again. Brake fluid was just below min line - I drove it straight to dealer. Dealer had truck for few days while they replaced the MC and the brake booster. $1000 fix - luckily I have extended warranty that covered it. Got truck back 7/4.

Drove the truck 1 day and received alternating "Service AdvanceTrac" and "Hill Descent Control Fault" messages on dash. I parked it and have not drove it since.

I have yet another appt with dealer tomorrow. I am disgusted with this. I am expecting a run-around from dealer tomorrow - especially if no codes are stored. I want this stuff fixed once and for all. I intend to ask them to carry out tests on all the brake system components and electronics, including examining the driver's side rotor, caliper, and wheel bearing. I feel like I can't count on this truck to be reliable, and I have little confidence in the dealer at this point. I love this truck - but I am now starting to think about trading it in - and I will take a financial hit doing so.

What are your thoughts? Have any of you experienced these types of issues with your Expy? Any advice or tips for my dealership visit tomorrow?

Looking forward to hearing your opinions. Thanks for your time.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I have a '16 XLT EL I purchased "used" in September of 2016 with 22K miles on in. It had a clean carfax and was a rental. It has been a great truck until some recent issues that are now causing me to question the reliability of it. The truck now has 45K on it.

The dealer cut the rotors and replaced the front brake linings in October of 2018 at 42K. In March of this year, I started to notice a "drag" or slight "shudder" in the driver's side front wheel. Seemed to happen intermittently but after I took my foot off the brake from a stop and pressed the accelerator to get going (i.e pulling out of driveway, out of a parking spot). Lasts about 10 seconds then smooth sailing.

On June 13th, I took it to dealer for oil/filter change and for them to check out front driver's side wheel. They changed oil, and said they could find nothing wrong with the wheel or front end and that the truck was safe to drive. While puling out of the dealer's parking lot - I felt that shudder yet again, but figured I'd just keep an "eye" on it.

On June 25th I started truck only to be presented with a low brake fluid warning. Checked fluid and it was well below min line - but no signs of leak under or around truck. This was strange as they usually top off funds when I take it for an oil change. Made appt with dealer for 29th. Started truck that morning, and pedal went to floor. Master Cylinder (MC) was empty - but no sign of leak. Called local mechanic who filled MC and bled brakes at each wheel. Said brakes seemed fine. Within a half mile of driving it - low brake fluid warning again. Brake fluid was just below min line - I drove it straight to dealer. Dealer had truck for few days while they replaced the MC and the brake booster. $1000 fix - luckily I have extended warranty that covered it. Got truck back 7/4.

Drove the truck 1 day and received alternating "Service AdvanceTrac" and "Hill Descent Control Fault" messages on dash. I parked it and have not drove it since.

I have yet another appt with dealer tomorrow. I am disgusted with this. I am expecting a run-around from dealer tomorrow - especially if no codes are stored. I want this stuff fixed once and for all. I intend to ask them to carry out tests on all the brake system components and electronics, including examining the driver's side rotor, caliper, and wheel bearing. I feel like I can't count on this truck to be reliable, and I have little confidence in the dealer at this point. I love this truck - but I am now starting to think about trading it in - and I will take a financial hit doing so.

What are your thoughts? Have any of you experienced these types of issues with your Expy? Any advice or tips for my dealership visit tomorrow?

Every single one of your issues stems back to the initial work done at 42K it appears to me, and sounds like mechanic error. Sounds like they damaged the wheel speed sensor either directly or wiring during one of the “fixes”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd agree, seems like the current issues are directly related to (incompetently performed) service work. Maybe time to try a different dealer, or an independent shop once you are out of warranty. Its sad, but the level of knowledge, service and even laziness varies greatly between shops. If you can find a good dealer shop to stick with more power to you, but that seems to be an oxymoron (good dealer shop) in most cases..

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered and bought a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4. I have never towed with it or hauled heavy cargo - strictly passenger use. It has never been wrecked or damaged, and is garaged when not used.

When the vehicle was delivered with two miles, the left front wheel opening molding was installed crooked and not fully attached. The lower molding behind the LF wheel was also not attached. That should have been a warning to me not to accept the vehicle. I accepted the vehicle and the service department fixed the moldings - which are now coming off again.

The quality and reliability of the vehicles has been poor. Numerous things have gone wrong with the vehicle. I also purchased the Ford Premium extended warranty.

At times, the dealer warranty and maintenance service has been okay - other times it has been poor. I stopped going to the selling dealer for repair and maintenance work, due to their poor service (warranty and customer pay).

Two issues remain unresolved; intermittent “no key detected” and “trailer wiring fault” messages. I have returned it to the dealer several times, only to be told there are “no codes”. I’ve learned that most Ford “factory trained technicians” do not know how to troubleshoot a problem.

I have owned and driven vehicles for 49 years. This was my first Ford - I had owned GM and Dodge vehicles (GM for 45 years). I doubt that I would by another Ford due the issues I’ve experienced.

It is my PERSONAL OPINION that many new vehicle dealerships are doing very well since the last recession. They have sold many cars and their service departments are flush with business. They have gotten “fat, dumb and lazy” and often don’t care about customer service.

Many technicians in the service departments are very young and know that they can go somewhere else and find another service job. Many lack pride in their work. Many don’t care about doing the job right, and have no concept of customer service and repeat service customers. Excellent service keeps the service customers returning, buying additional vehicles and telling their friends and neighbors about the dealership. Poor service drives customers away and generates negative word-of-mouth advertising.

The major vehicle manufacturers continue to survey and wonder why their customers leave the dealerships for independent shops. They’ll figure it out when the next downturn in the economy hits and will be spending a lot of money trying to get customers to return to their dealer shops.

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score

that brake fluid is going somewhere.

I bought mine new and besides a window trim piece that was misaligned, I haven’t had a single issue. I’m at 23k now

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve learned that most Ford “factory trained technicians” do not know how to troubleshoot a problem.

It seems like most of the new generation 'technicians' don't have the first clue what to do if the computer (no codes, sorry) can't tell them what to replace..

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He asked if the vehicle was reliable...

And yet we are talking about the Techs and Dealers.

The vehicle is reliable. Same Motor and drivetrain has been around for years. Remember the 15-17 Expy is basically a 2014 F-150 at the root.

Here is my guess as to what happened.

When the service was done at 42K the Tech either didn’t follow proper bleeding procedures or damaged a line, and the lack of fluid damaged the booster or improper procedure. If the MC or Booster were even damaged(more about that below). At some point during the “fix” the wheel speed sensor got damaged.

You or the Warranty should have NEVER had to pay for anything after the initial service. The Tech messed up, period. I personally think dealer took the opportunity to charge the warranty to pay for the parts and Tech time to fix what they messed up the first time. I would be LIVID. The dealer would be giving me a loaner off the lot while they fixed Everything they broke, with ZERO charge off to the warranty!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you actually look at the MC, and Booster? Does it look new? Crawl under and look behind the wheel where the work was done. Is there a new brake line? New fitting? It will be easy to tell if they were replaced. They will be shiny and clean, and look A LOT different than the other 3 wheels.