Owners of 2015-2017 Models - is yours reliable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L Antoino

Reaction score
I have a 2015 limited demo with 5000 miles bought in 2016. Went up to 20k miles before problems started to show up. First was the front rotors getting warped. Brought to the dealership to get them turned, the service adviser told me the front pads where worn out. I told him to just resurface rotors and I'll fix the pads myself. When the truck was returned, they charge me almost $600 for pads and rotors. I complained to the manager and they gave me the rotors and pads free of charge. After that, I was driving the truck for a few days when I noticed that the front driver side wheel was scorching hot. I checked the pads, one was worn out at an angle and that side of the rotor had a mirror finish. Turns out the dealer installed all the inner pads on the driver side and outer pads on the passenger side. so I changed all four rotors and pads myself. At that time, I noticed that both front struts where leaking fluid, so I went back to the dealer to have it repaired under warranty. I left the truck at the dealer for the day and did not hear a word from them until I called them to find out what they plan to do. Dealer told me that the fluid leak was normal and no repair was needed. So I took the truck home and bought parts online and replaced them myself. Now at 45k, the AC blower stops working when you crank it up in hot weather and the front driver side tie rod boot is torn and leaking out grease. I already bought parts to replace them. I just need to find time and nice weather to fix them. I would never again take my truck to a Texas ford dealer except for maybe oil changes.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 limited demo with 5000 miles bought in 2016. Went up to 20k miles before problems started to show up. First was the front rotors getting warped. Brought to the dealership to get them turned, the service adviser told me the front pads where worn out. I told him to just resurface rotors and I'll fix the pads myself. When the truck was returned, they charge me almost $600 for pads and rotors. I complained to the manager and they gave me the rotors and pads free of charge. After that, I was driving the truck for a few days when I noticed that the front driver side wheel was scorching hot. I checked the pads, one was worn out at an angle and that side of the rotor had a mirror finish. Turns out the dealer installed all the inner pads on the driver side and outer pads on the passenger side. so I changed all four rotors and pads myself. At that time, I noticed that both front struts where leaking fluid, so I went back to the dealer to have it repaired under warranty. I left the truck at the dealer for the day and did not hear a word from them until I called them to find out what they plan to do. Dealer told me that the fluid leak was normal and no repair was needed. So I took the truck home and bought parts online and replaced them myself. Now at 45k, the AC blower stops working when you crank it up in hot weather and the front driver side tie rod boot is torn and leaking out grease. I already bought parts to replace them. I just need to find time and nice weather to fix them. I would never again take my truck to a Texas ford dealer except for maybe oil changes.

Interesting.

I bought a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4. At 6,*** miles, the RF shock began to leak (noticed by dealer tech). It was replaced under warranty, but the part was on back-order for about one month.

At about 25,*** miles, all four rotors were machined under warranty due to vibration when braking. I do not tow or haul with the vehicle, strictly passenger use - and primarily on rural state route highways.

I replaced the brake pads and rotors with OEM Motorcraft parts on all four wheels at about 46,*** miles. The dealer said the rear brake pads only had 10% left then. My son replaced the parts for me.

It sounds as though the 2015 models had poor quality rotors and pads, and poor quality shocks. The service advisor said at the time that he had seen a few new 2015 Expeditions with leaking shocks.

5x10

Reaction score
Took it from 35k to 77k
So far, needed o2 sensor and spark plugs and a single coil change

Not bad
The expe is a beast, hauls our large family of 5 effortlessly

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep. Bought our 2016 used in 2017 and now have 92,*** miles on it. Stock except for a 5 star 87 perf/tow tune and changing it to side exit exhaust. Synthetic oil changes every 5k since new, air filters every 10k, I've serviced the T case, trans, and both differentials once, and changed the spark plugs and boots. Original brakes still. The only problem I've had was the blow off valve diaphragm, which tore, that was a cheap/easy fix. I tow a tritoon with it, we just got back from 2 weeks at 2 different lakes, about 700 miles total of towing. 9-10mpg towing, 20-21mpg to/from work. It's an awesome vehicle.

OP
OP
E

Erzebet

Reaction score
Still good to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Update: I continued to receive the "Service Advancetrac" and "Hill Descent Control Faults" on the dash and that rumbling/grinding/shuddering during turns at slow speed had gotten progressively worse since last summer. I finally made an appointment with the Dealer for January 23, 2020 to have this mini-laundry list of items resolved. I specifically asked them to check the rear end as I suspected that my clutch packs were bad....(thank you forum!)

After nearly two weeks at the dealer (I had a loaner car), I am pleased to report that they found the clutch packs to be "burnt and stuck". They replaced the clutch packs under warranty (I have 49K). Also, technician suspected that the constant intermittent "Service Advancetrac" and "Hill Descent Control Faults" may have been a result of that grinding rear causing erratic readings at the brake pedal switch. They replaced the switch.

Based on this forum, and my own experience - it is evident that the clutch packs in the EL rears for these model years fail prematurely. The information shared in this forum definitely helped me get this issue resolved. Thanks again!!

mike foster

Reaction score
Add the transmission cooler, it is pretty easy to do. Towing 6k pounds in the mountains, my 17 EL never goes higher than 212 and only peaks there for a few seconds.

Which cooler did you add? If you have a sec please link or list the parts you used. I'm good with the wrench and just bought my '17 XLT and the build sheet has the 3.73 gear as an added option but no cooling package!

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mike - You have the 3.73 gear and the build sheet. So I assume you do NOT have the heavy duty tow package as well? The additional cooling comes with the HD tow. At least on my 2016 it does.

mike foster

Reaction score
Yep. Bought our 2016 used in 2017 and now have 92,*** miles on it. Stock except for a 5 star 87 perf/tow tune and changing it to side exit exhaust. Synthetic oil changes every 5k since new, air filters every 10k, I've serviced the T case, trans, and both differentials once, and changed the spark plugs and boots. Original brakes still. The only problem I've had was the blow off valve diaphragm, which tore, that was a cheap/easy fix. I tow a tritoon with it, we just got back from 2 weeks at 2 different lakes, about 700 miles total of towing. 9-10mpg towing, 20-21mpg to/from work. It's an awesome vehicle.

Ah -now I'm right behind you with 76K on my (last month) new to me '17. I really like this rig and it feels like everything I've been looking for as a mature adult. It's RWD only with a 3.73 optional gear and nice OEM 20" wheels. Having that odd little idle shudder and a "more odd" chuggle when coasting (deceleration) down between 30 and 20mph -feels like the 3rd gear lock up is trying to decide what to do. My wife drievs it occasionaly and says "stop trying to find something wrong". Last week I changed plugs but got lazy and handed my new Motorcraft SP580 plugs to a fairly sharp Firestone mechanic and said "be sure to gap them at thirty, no more" (magic marker on the boxes too). Didn't seem to help the idle -maybe slightly. Yesterday I cleaned the 3 MAP sensors -same result there. Am leaning toward a 5 Star for towing a 25' RV but don't want to tune until I'm solid on the idle and coasting oddities. Also want to know what brands of oils you're using in the engine and rear diff. The Ford dealer I bought it from changed oil and the little window sticker says 5W20 don't know if it was dino or syn. I removed a pint and added Liqui Moly MoS2 anti-friction and then will start running whatever everyone here thinks best. Want to keep this rig on the road for a long time. Reply when you can. Mike

mike foster

Reaction score
Mike - You have the 3.73 gear and the build sheet. So I assume you do NOT have the heavy duty tow package as well? The additional cooling comes with the HD tow. At least on my 2016 it does.

Correct -the gear was a customer added option along with the 20" wheels.

Attachments

• 17ExpeditionWinStkr.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 5