P0430 on a 2018 expo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Backstory: I was driving down the highway when check engine light came on. Connected to OBDII and shows a P0430 catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold bank 2 (driver side). So I replaced downstream O2 sensor and cleared the code. Unfortunately for me it came back 2 days later. Cleared again and came back 1 day later. 2018 expedition max has about 90,000 miles on it. Seems like an early failure for a catalytic converter. I don’t want to spend the money on a new catalytic converter. Can I drive it like this without damaging the vehicle? Or is there any other cheaper fixes for this? Thanks in advance for the help. -mike

Attachments

• 4E4208B4-B293-4647-AF6E-A62F6C371A4B.png
    4E4208B4-B293-4647-AF6E-A62F6C371A4B.png
    131.3 KB · Views: 15
  • A532790D-2795-4F27-BBD5-1F62CA938D58.png
    A532790D-2795-4F27-BBD5-1F62CA938D58.png
    198.1 KB · Views: 13

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting...my 2018 Expy just threw a check engine light on Saturday which also gave me 15 warnings in my app from loss of communication with the power module, to traction control and catalytic converter. Friday they redid the cam phasers (for the 3rd time) so I wonder if they effed something up there? It goes in on Thursday for diagnosis.

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
Interesting...my 2018 Expy just threw a check engine light on Saturday which also gave me 15 warnings in my app from loss of communication with the power module, to traction control and catalytic converter. Friday they redid the cam phasers (for the 3rd time) so I wonder if they effed something up there? It goes in on Thursday for diagnosis.
Have they all been replaced under warranty? I’m fixing to have to do mine…. Unfortunately I’m out of warranty

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have they all been replaced under warranty? I’m fixing to have to do mine…. Unfortunately I’m out of warranty
The first one, yes. The second one no (only because the engine was cracked open repairing a front seal so I opted for parts only cost as labour was already covered), the third set yes. Chances are if you have to pay for the phasers, it will likely fail within the warranty of that job.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We’re at 82k on our 18 and got the same code the other day. I cleared it and it hasn’t come back yet, but I’m sure it will. I’m also due for another set of cam phasers but haven’t bothered yet since the dealer doesn’t offer loaners anymore. My tranny has also been acting screwy and having a lot of hard shifts lately.

I’m just hoping that with rates going up the car market slows down and new cars get a littler cheaper and I’ll unload this one for something that’s not a Ford after all the reoccurring issues this one has had.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
It's one of the catalytic converters -- there are apparently at least two of them. Mine went out at 30,000 miles. Part on backorder, of course.

Not merely a Ford problem. Neighbor's Jeep cat went earlier this year. He was barely within the 8year/80,000 mile warranty on it.

P0430 is an emissions fault. I know (of) many folks who have removed their converters and put defoulers at the sensors and their cars seem to run fine.

mo-powa-babeh-james-pumphrey.gif

-- Chuck