P051B - P051D Code - Crankcase Pressure Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDEVIR

Reaction score
Have a 2015 XLT EL with 79K. This AM at startup I got check engine light and upon reading have codes of P051B and P051D - indicating a crankcase pressure sensor. Truck was running fine night before. Did change oil over weekend and put 5W20 in instead of 5W30 (carryover in memory from 5.4L). Used Napa synthetic with platinum filter. For crankcase pressure sensor could not find part at Autozone or at NAPA. Called local Ford dealer and told part is out of stock until end of January, cost of $57, and dealer had several vehicles awaiting part in lot. Decided to use code reader to clear code and see if it comes back since I can not get replacement for several weeks. Anybody else received this code and what was solution, or is it related to the slightly thinner oil?

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pop out your PCV valve and make sure it's working. It should let air through if you blow on the side that goes in the engine, but not let air through the intake side.

Normally high crankcase pressure is caused by using too thick / too much oil, so I highly doubt the oil caused this, unless increased splashing got some in the PCV valve and blocked it or something crazy like that.

I also think it's pretty crazy that the sensor failed, but crazier things have happened.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a 2015 XLT EL with 79K. This AM at startup I got check engine light and upon reading have codes of P051B and P051D - indicating a crankcase pressure sensor. Truck was running fine night before. Did change oil over weekend and put 5W20 in instead of 5W30 (carryover in memory from 5.4L). Used Napa synthetic with platinum filter. For crankcase pressure sensor could not find part at Autozone or at NAPA. Called local Ford dealer and told part is out of stock until end of January, cost of $57, and dealer had several vehicles awaiting part in lot. Decided to use code reader to clear code and see if it comes back since I can not get replacement for several weeks. Anybody else received this code and what was solution, or is it related to the slightly thinner oil?

Nah, wouldn’t think it’s in relation to the oil. What surprises me is that you say the dealer has many autos in the lot awaiting the part.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Had a similar code P05DB after I stallin my K&N performance air intake system and that was code “crankcase ventilator system disconnected.” Caused by air pressure readings outside whatvthe sensor allows for. I had to install an intake cent tube insert to correct that code. I would first check your PCV valve as stated above.

Sheena

Reaction score
WHat happened with this? I have a 2015 XLT with 72k miles and suddenly I got a p051b error today. Should I just wipe it out and ignore it or go pay the actual diagnostic fee and get it fixed, no one but ford has the part but if the part isn’t the actual issue its a waste of time.

qwertyuiop

Reaction score
Just like MEDVIR post above, I recently used 5w20 oil in my 2015 expedition. This vehicle calls for 5W30. I was thinking living in a colder climate (MN), the thinner oil would be better in the winter. Within a day of the oil change, the engine service light came on and when scanned, the code was P051D (high crankcase pressure). Hate to pay for another oil change, but that may be the answer to the annoying engine light being illuminated. I am going to check out the pcv valve.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just like MEDVIR post above, I recently used 5w20 oil in my 2015 expedition. This vehicle calls for 5W30. I was thinking living in a colder climate (MN), the thinner oil would be better in the winter. Within a day of the oil change, the engine service light came on and when scanned, the code was P051D (high crankcase pressure). Hate to pay for another oil change, but that may be the answer to the annoying engine light being illuminated. I am going to check out the pcv valve.

In simple terms - the oil viscosity labeling (such as 5W30, 5W20, etc.) shows it is a multi-viscosity oil.

The “5” before the “W” is the flow rating for cold or winter climate engine starting.

The “20” or “30” rating is the flow rating for warm climate engine starting.

A 5W30 oil will flow the same as a 5W20 oil during cold weather engine startup.

I own a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4. I follow Ford’s recommendation for the oil viscosity.

Let us know what you determine with the PCV valve.

cvbrewer

Reaction score
I just had this problem and repair, and my mechanic thinks it was the pressure sensor, which is the most common cause according to my searches. So far a couple weeks with no light.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni