Paid for extended warranty but no paperwork after almost a year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I bought my 2018 Max in March 2018 I was waffling on the extended warranty but finally decided on it and the dealership sent a runner to my home to have me sign the purchase agreement/contract. Well it kind of slipped my mind and I couldn’t remember if I got it or not as I’ve received no cards in the mail. So today, 2/17/19 I’m reviewing my purchase contract and see a fee for $1648 for “DOWC ADMINISTRATION”. Is this how the extended warranty is listed? I’m going to call tomorrow but the dealership is 50 miles away. The extended warranty doesn’t show up on my Ford Pass account for the vehicle. I feel kinda of stupid for not realizing this until almost a year later but any advice that would confirm what DOWC means would be helpful. I suspect the finance guy forgot to submit the paperwork as this was after hours.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The DOWC is "Dealer Owned Warranty Company". So it appears that you bought a warranty managed by a private company. You can probably Google the outfit.

I suppose you should have some paperwork showing what is covered and what is not and who will do the repairs. Maybe just an oversight by the dealer that you don't have the agreement, and it's a good thing you noticed before you need to make a claim in some far-away place.

The DOWC contracts are very individualized and the dealer can offer virtually any arrangement, including warranties where only their own work is covered. So it's important that you obtain and review the contract so you know what you purchased and what hoops you need to jump to get service.

http://www.dealerowned.com/

Last edited:

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased the Ford Premium Care 7yr/100K extended warranty and also did not receive any paperwork. I contacted my dealer and they said no paperwork is issued, but it's reflected on my VIN when I call for service appointments. They confirmed that my VIN shows the extended warranty when they checked their system, but it doesn't display on the FordPass app. If anyone knows how to update the app, let me know.

OP
OP
S

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I have it at a local dealership today and had them pull up the VIN and see if there was an extended warranty and they said no. So now I get to start playing phone tag with the dealership I purchased it from.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased the Ford Premium Care 7yr/100K extended warranty and also did not receive any paperwork. I contacted my dealer and they said no paperwork is issued, but it's reflected on my VIN when I call for service appointments. They confirmed that my VIN shows the extended warranty when they checked their system, but it doesn't display on the FordPass app. If anyone knows how to update the app, let me know.

I had the same experience when I purchased the Ford Premium Care extended warranty for my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4.

I called Ford and complained, and eventually received a printed copy of the warranty, which included my information.

I was amazed at how poorly Ford and their dealers handle the Ford (not an aftermarket) warranty.

I have purchased numerous GM extended warranties over the years and GM always promptly sends you paperwork in the mail, including information on how to transfer the warranty to another person.

Ford does some things very poorly, and this is one of them.

OP
OP
S

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, the dealership was very responsive and emailed me a copy of the DOWC warranty contract, 6yr/100k, level 4 which is the highest level, which I hope I don't have to use. Unlike Ford Extended it is on me to file a claim and get reimbused.

Mad Oshea

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tell them to come and get the truck. LOL It was under suspition of being hit with no Auto fax LOL LOL

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The DOWC is an aftermarket warranty, not a Ford product, so it wouldn't be recorded in Ford's system.

Check your documents to see if it covers work done by other than the originating dealer's service department. Some DOWC do not.

Last edited: