Paint defect!?!?!?!?!?! White pearl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only problem is a clay bar will only remove the contaminant itself. Not the rust colored stain. Ironx will take care of that. Like I said, use it all the time on my tri coat platinum white 2016. Turns the whole truck purple as it dissolves everything embedded in the paint
I'll have to give Ironx a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may be able to file a comprehensive damage claim with your vehicle insurance company, and have the paint damage repaired by a professional facility.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may be able to file a comprehensive damage claim with your vehicle insurance company, and have the paint damage repaired by a professional facility.
They will never be able to color match exactly. Especially the whites, tried that on mine from 3 different body shops including a certified ford collision repair center. Each one said they would not guarantee it would look anywhere near close to what the factory does. Ironx will take care of that, and if you want top it with some good quality paint cleaner wax and it’ll be good as new

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This happens to ALL colors of paint and not just white. Just more noticeable on white. My greystone jeep has plenty of it. I don't worry about it on the jeep though. I haven't heard of that IronX before, looks cool. Might have to give it a try. I have always felt the claybar did a fine job of removing the contaminates and then a good wax keeps it safe for a while. I am notoriously bad at exterior maintenance, so I am typically a clean and wax in the fall and a clean and wax in the spring guy.

I have thought about trying one of those spray on nano coatings just to see if it keeps things looking better a little longer.

My wife does have the pass to the car wash and hits the car wash fairly frequently but that just doesn't do the same as a good hand wash. I made the mistake of buying another black suv, didn't learn my lesson the first time I guess. White is by far my favorite vehicle color.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Brake dust will do that also. I had a white car and it was solid surface rust like that from the brakes. It came off, but it sucked removing it.

cosauto

Reaction score
JExpedition07 is absolutely right . I own a reconditioning shop in Columbus , Ohio. I see this on white cars all the time. Actually a good cleaner wax or any light compound will take it off. Also try Griot's synthetic clay . Much easier to use than a clay bar. Works great. Any questions, visit my website. cosmeticautorestoration.com

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
No it’s not a paint defect, this happens on most white vehicles. How did the vehicle get to it’s destination after it left ford? It was shipped on a train, railroad dust embeds itself into the clear coat off the rails. At that time it is raw iron, after a winter of driving around that iron rusts inside the clear coat. The other common method is by truck, same problem. Brake dust and road debris from the trailer flys off and gets stuck in the paint

The solution to this is to take your car somewhere or do it yourself: clay bar the entire exterior and the bar will remove all traces of rust and embedded iron contamination. Then give it a good coat of wax. Will look new again.
Not waxing(or doing regular washes), may be part of your problem. 3 months without a wash, may be considered neglect. Don't take to the dealer. They will have the 'lot boy', buffing it.