Paint on lift gate bubbling, is there anything being done to correct this problem? I have a 2012, lift gate paint is bubbling and starting to crack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
What you are seeing is aluminum “rust”. Aluminum doesn’t actually rust it oxidizes into a white powder.

My 08 suffers from the same ailment that you have. In fact I address the problem every three or four years or so. My body guy “repairs” the damage by addressing the spots with vigor, reapplying aluminum primer (the green stuff like on planes) and then a thin skim coat, base coat and clear.

You’ll see the same thing happening on your hood if you look very carefully.

Not much you can do to eliminate this problem other than doing as my body guy suggests - remove the drain plugs you’ll find at the bottom of all the doors and the rear gate. For some reason Ford made the interior water tight but forgot to seal the outside water entry points. This will drain all moisture out rapidly and slow down the oxidation. Then they compounded the problem by plugging all the drains that wouldn’t let the water out. (Right after I got mine - I heard a slouching sound coming from the back seat. Turns out when I removed the plug on the bottom of one of the rear doors over a gallon of water poured out. I never put the plug back in!)

Then, find a good body guy and have them check the entire body over once a year. This part is called maintenance. It will save you tons of $$ in the long run by catching problems early and repairing them before the whole part disappears.

Last edited:

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a 49-page thread regarding paint bubbling and aluminum panel corrosion on Ford Expeditions: https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...gister-a-complaint-read-fords-response.16012/

Ford was aware of the issue for many, many years and did nothing to eliminate the problem.
Once you’ve done reading through those posts take a look at the latest Ford TSB specifically geared towards paint defects to see if you qualify for dealer intervention.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought spot sand blaster from Harbor Freight, taped off, blasted till clean, painted, only time will tell, has been almost a year and no bubbling.
What kind of blast media did you use? Might try this in the spring since I'm getting bubbling and flaking behind the lift gate glass near the third brake light.