Paint touch up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Morning All,

I was the lucky recipient of someones desire to customize my new Expedition before I even had 1,000 miles on it. Fortunately just the hitch cover. Anyone know if there is a touch up paint that matches? Rest of the vehicle is "Magnetic" I believe. Or anyone not using their hitch cover? :biggrin:

IMG_0973.jpg

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same damage. Although I only have a very low wall and even lower light (and myself, of course) to blame.

That small trim piece is like $40. I have a feeling you’ll be more pleased with the outcome if you just buy a new piece than you would if you spent $15 on touch up paint and tried to make it work.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same damage. Although I only have a very low wall and even lower light (and myself, of course) to blame.

That small trim piece is like $40. I have a feeling you’ll be more pleased with the outcome if you just buy a new piece than you would if you spent $15 on touch up paint and tried to make it work.

Hmmm...apparently it appears it may be significantly more expensive and needs to be painted to match.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/body/bumpers/cap-6521847-1

Perhaps this is why I never did replace mine.

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why don't they sell them already painted, since every vehicle has the same color cap?

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Long story short, Ford does not sell touch up paint that matches the silver painted trim on the front and rear bumpers, which seems like an oversight. My paint color is ingot silver, and it was a close enough match for me to use it to touch up a rock chip on the silver trim, though the silver trim is a slightly lighter color silver than the ingot silver.

OP
OP
MxRacer965

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Long story short, Ford does not sell touch up paint that matches the silver painted trim on the front and rear bumpers, which seems like an oversight. My paint color is ingot silver, and it was a close enough match for me to use it to touch up a rock chip on the silver trim, though the silver trim is a slightly lighter color silver than the ingot silver.

Bummer. Even though it’s a small spot it still catches my eye constantly and irritates me. I know vehicles don’t stay new forever, but less than 1K miles is infuriating.

And yeah, I looked up buying a new cover hoping it would be painted. Found out it was under $100, but needs to be painted. Probably not worth the expense. Not to mention I probably still wouldn’t be happy with the color match. I never am. I have always been able to tell when something has been repainted.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bummer. Even though it’s a small spot it still catches my eye constantly and irritates me. I know vehicles don’t stay new forever, but less than 1K miles is infuriating.

And yeah, I looked up buying a new cover hoping it would be painted. Found out it was under $100, but needs to be painted. Probably not worth the expense. Not to mention I probably still wouldn’t be happy with the color match. I never am. I have always been able to tell when something has been repainted.

Because mine has the same hickey yours does, if you find a solution, please come back and update this thread...I would be most appreciative.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even though it’s a small spot it still catches my eye constantly and irritates me.

I completely relate and it sucks. I have a minute scratch below my door handle that my knife belt clip inflicted and I see it every time I open the door which causes me to relive that event. It’s the only imperfection on the entire vehicle and I still obsess over it. It happened almost two years ago... ugh