Parking Brake Help - Discontinued Part

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

milledon

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Eddie Bauer 5.4L engine. My Expedition failed Virginia state safety inspection for the parking brake. We found that the "Lever" that the parking brake cable attaches to inside the left wheel drum is broken. The Ford part number is 2L1Z-2A637-AA (see pic below.

I have called a couple of local Ford dealers and they tell me that the part is discontinued and don't have a equivalent replacement part. I have tried to find on-line and coming up empty.

I even asked if the dealer could fix if I let them do the work and they said they would not be able to fix.

Any thoughts about finding the part (other than junk yards)? 2L1Z2A637AA Part.JPG

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
These things tend to rust solid and with a bit of work can be usable. Is that what happened to yours, or did it break some other way?

Junk yard or ebay. Or have a welder fix the part if it broke. Or see if a 1st or 3rd Generation (or an F-150) one can be filed down to match.

I would think most junk yards would give you one for nothing or a couple of bucks. Junk yards have no market for brake parts.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Any way it could be repaired? ... maybe something easy or a machine shop could do something? There are a lot of people around who fabricate stuff as needed.

I'll bet ($50) some kid could scan it and make one on a 3D printer.
I know of a company that makes old discontinued motorcycle parts like that.

Last edited:

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been looking for this part for you.

Have you tried calling a Ford dealer/parts to see if any dealer in the nation has one on hand?

OP
OP
M

milledon

Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs. Tried Ebay and Ford dealers with no luck. Headed to junk yard today to see if I can get one off the Expeditions they have there.

Plati

Reaction score
these can't be real ???
https://www.eastgatefordpartscanada.ca/oem-parts/ford-parking-brake-lever-6l1z2a637a

https://www.concord-parts.com/item/6l1z2a637a/ford

to the OP ... if you get a replacement I'd be interested in getting my hands on the bad one so I can see if I can fabricate one (or more). There must be a demand for these things. How can it be this difficult (impossible) to buy a part like that? To get to it off a junker you have to remove a lot of parts and the rear rotor is notoriously difficult to remove. Are they the same part on each side?

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
whatever happened here?
get the part at the places i suggested or junkyard?