Parking brake pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
2003XLT

I just stomped on my parking brake to test it. It failed badly.
I heard a snap (like a cable broke) and pedal stayed down, had to be pulled up by hand.
No parking brake holding car back, I think its just a pedal issue.

Anybody ever have this and know what I need to do?

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
Did you take a flashlight and look up under the dash at the cable to see if it is in fact broken ? Or is it the pedal assembly itself that broke ? Just gonna have to trace the cable and find what piece you need and order it.

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/part...model=&Filter=()&Location=parking-brake,,2853
Not yet. Busy winterizing Rider and swapping with Snowblower today.
Will have to look though. Difficult area for me to wrench at my elderly age.
Pedal seems fine, its whatever cable is attached I would say.
Yes … once I look at it I ought to be able to find the broken piece!!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a busted L/R cable when I bought my 00 model 5 years back. With help of a friend I wrangled new cable in place. It was an S.O.B of a job . We had to tug and pull on cable with locking vise grips, to get cable end into ends. If your physically challenged like I am these days, you might want to have a trusted shop do the diagnostic and repair. Why the hell did you pull a Luke Duke from Dukes of hazard to lock up a 17 year old sled! Theirs better, safer ways to test out an Ebrake.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
The pedal mechanism and first cable "look" fine. Right now I don't think that's the issue. The first cable is completely loose at the Y junction with no tension. It seems to operate normal forward of the Y. I "think" the tension in that system comes from the rear (wheel) but I dunno. Does anyone know where the tension source is? I think that's what broke.

IMG_1436.JPG

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like hamfisted said it works as a unit. If the cable and mechanism at the pedal is sound, you've either got a broken cable going to one of the rear wheels, or something went awry on one of the wheels. You will have to jack it up, pull both rotors, something popped off.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Maybe a broken cable? Probably where it splits into two. You live in the rust belt. Repair shops love testing these during NYS inspection( big money makers). 99.9% car owners never use them. They rust/seize and the cheap cable snaps or stretches. Mine was replaced(10yrs old), it works , but now won't fully release. Mechanics have to take a long pipe and pound the lever, on the backing plate. My local shop who works on it, doesn't even mess with it.