Parking Lamps and Dash Lights won't turn off!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven Braman

Reaction score
The Parking Lamps and Dash Lights won't turn off when the key is out of the ignition. I've tried all of the applicable fuses but no luck. I'm starting to think it is now the parking lamp relay, but i don't know where that particular relay is located. Any and all help is welcomed. Thank you

Plati

Reaction score
The Parking Lamps and Dash Lights won't turn off when the key is out of the ignition. I've tried all of the applicable fuses but no luck. I'm starting to think it is now the parking lamp relay, but i don't know where that particular relay is located. Any and all help is welcomed. Thank you
Have you tried the roller switch that adjusts brightness?

Sometimes that gets inadvertently set to ON.
or you can turn it all the way down

thats more for dome lights though I think
i'm sure you've looked at all the controls, read the manual etc.
like the lights rotary switch
hey, just checking

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Steven Braman

Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately i did try that, but no luck....

My first thoughts were that the door sensor was not working properly, because i can take the key all the way out of the ignition and the truck will continue to beep at me as if i've left the door open. But after a spritz of wd i fixed that problem, now it doesn't beep at me anymore the parking lamps just stay on.

OP
OP
S

Steven Braman

Reaction score
Have you tried the roller switch that adjusts brightness?

Sometimes that gets inadvertently set to ON.
or you can turn it all the way down

thats more for dome lights though I think
i'm sure you've looked at all the controls, read the manual etc.
like the lights rotary switch
hey, just checking

Yeah unfortunately i did try that, but no luck....

My first thoughts were that the door sensor was not working properly, because i can take the key all the way out of the ignition and the truck will continue to beep at me as if i've left the door open. But after a spritz of wd i fixed that problem, now it doesn't beep at me anymore the parking lamps just stay on.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pop the switch out of the dash. Unplug it. Do the parking lights go out ? Bad switch....

OP
OP
S

Steven Braman

Reaction score
Pop the switch out of the dash. Unplug it. Do the parking lights go out ? Bad switch....

*Update* popped out the headlight and little dome light slider selector switch and disconnected the headlight switch. The lights remain on...

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Then it has to be a relay.
*Update* popped out the headlight and little dome light slider selector switch and disconnected the headlight switch. The lights remain on...

Bummer. 'Cause the relay is built into the Vehicle Security Module and is non-serviceable. It's located behind and above the glovebox, mounted to the right side panel. It's the box up there with the keypad door code on it. If you can reach it, unplug it and the parking lights should go out.
How long have you had this Expy ? When did this parking light issue start ? Nobody tried to install an aftermarket alarm in it did they? Has it had any other weird security system related issues ? Do the parking lights go out when the key is IN the ignition ? Any evidence of water leaks in the sidewall near the glovebox ? It honestly might be worth letting a Ford dealer look at it. They have the IDS software to troubleshoot the system.

OP
OP
S

Steven Braman

Reaction score
Bummer. 'Cause the relay is built into the Vehicle Security Module and is non-serviceable. It's located behind and above the glovebox, mounted to the right side panel. It's the box up there with the keypad door code on it. If you can reach it, unplug it and the parking lights should go out.
How long have you had this Expy ? When did this parking light issue start ? Nobody tried to install an aftermarket alarm in it did they? Has it had any other weird security system related issues ? Do the parking lights go out when the key is IN the ignition ? Any evidence of water leaks in the sidewall near the glovebox ? It honestly might be worth letting a Ford dealer look at it. They have the IDS software to troubleshoot the system.

To answer you're questions, the truck was bought new in 2003. This parking lamp issue started on Tuesday night (right after a nice big ol' rainstorm), there havent been any aftermarket mods or anything like that done to it. And the only noteable thing regarding the built in security system is...

Probably about 4 months ago the battery died in the truck because it had sat for probably 5 months, and i dropped a new battery in but it wouldnt start up. Everytime i put the key into the ignition the theft alarm went off, and only would go off when i unlocked the doors with the key fob. Took it to the dealership because i didnt want the headache anymore, they fixed that gremlin for me.

The parking lights stay on whether the key is in or out of the ignition.
Yes i noticed for the first time when i went to pull and check fuses that the carpet under the floor mat on the passenger side was soaked. (it has been raining where i live on and off for the past few days)

Also when you say "non-servicable" how non-servicable are we talking?
I'm a pretty clever guy and the truck is old enough that the warranty doesn't matter to me anymore. If i can fix this issue for the price of a new relay than i'm all for it, not the most eager guy to take it to a dealer.