Passenger door locked with safety latch on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

no show dave

Reaction score
My rear passenger door on my 2006 expe won't open with the handle from out side and the child safty switch is in the locked position so can't open it from the inside.
Any idea's on how I can get it opened and fix the latch? I've been told I'll need to cut the door liner off to fix it. Is this true or by chance will a slim jim or other tool do it.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you are on the right track with the slim jim /other tool way. I wouldn't cut anything. I would take apart the driver rear door to see what I have to get at to open without destroying anything.

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My rear passenger door on my 2006 expe won't open with the handle from out side and the child safty switch is in the locked position so can't open it from the inside.............

HAVE YOU TRIED TO UNLOCK THE DOORS USING YOUR FOB ? (MAY BE A DUMB SUGGESTION :sorrysign: )

OP
OP
N

no show dave

Reaction score
Good news and thanks to all. If anyone else has this problem don't listen to the shops and the worse case scenario.
You can work the door gasket loose from that area inside and have enough room to use a long thin flat blade screwdriver to push it down and unlock the latch.
Now I can take the door liner off and fix the clip that works outside door handle.
Any tips on that will be appreciated.

Thanks again

igneous

Reaction score
check the catch on the door to make sure it's not 'closed'

Expediatric

Reaction score
Good news and thanks to all. If anyone else has this problem don't listen to the shops and the worse case scenario.
You can work the door gasket loose from that area inside and have enough room to use a long thin flat blade screwdriver to push it down and unlock the latch.
Now I can take the door liner off and fix the clip that works outside door handle.
Any tips on that will be appreciated.

Thanks again
This just worked for me on my 05' Expedition rear side door. I REALLY appreciate this advice! My door had been stuck shut for 4 year since I got the truck. My child safety switch was at the half way point making not open from inside or out. I pulled the trim back, put on my headlamp light and could barely see the switch. I first took some tri-flow and barely bent the very tip so it could go in there and spray around the lock switch. Then I took the angled piece that come with the plastic trim tool kit(see pic, Im pointing at it) and it slides in there perfect. Then I just hit the top of the tool knocking the switch all the way down and the door opened. Now I need to fix why either of my rear doors open from the outside handle. But at least I can open the door and take off the panel in a proper way!
Thanks Expedition Forum!

Attachments

• 20230924_092002.jpg
    20230924_092002.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360