Passenger side mirror freaking out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had our 2018 at the dealership several times and I always get the "unable to duplicate issue" statement. I even mentioned I'd read it was a software issue but so far it's not been fixed. It's such a random occurrence it'd be nearly impossible to duplicate while at the dealership. Ours started at around 7000 miles and it's got a little over 20,000 on it now. It'll probably wait until right after warranty to finally quit completely.

If you can take a video of it happening they might be more willing to help. Also give them the TSB number if you haven’t already.

DenSanAZ

Reaction score
I had this same issue with my '16 Explorer. When the mirrors were retracted and, when using remote start, the mirror would start clacking away inside the casing, it was constantly trying to adjust outwards then *clack* back in 1-2 second cycles, and continue doing this for about 30-45 seconds before stopping (timing out, perhaps?). It mostly happened when it was warmer outside (Phoenix, so from Apr to Nov!). I brought it up with the dealer during a service call and got the "unable to duplicate" response. Brought it up again at it's next service and was told they "replaced both mirrors" (which I really don't think they did). I had the car for 3 years (traded it for the '18 Expy) and it was still doing it the whole time - completely at random but only when using remote start. On my '18 Expy, there have been a few times the mirrors won't extend right after being retracted and I've not even had it a few months. Mirror gremlins in Ford mirror motors, perhaps.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That seems strange to me that they want to be able to duplicate the issue to reflash the software. I (and I suspect most others that have had the issue fixed) just told the dealer it was doing it, gave them the TSB number, and had it fixed.

Good luck
This is literally what I did. I could replicate it, but of course the dealer couldn't....So when I was in last, I said here is the SSM, I would like it updated.

Atticus Mabrry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was fixed...but they charged me to do it...which is absolute BS since it was a Ford software issue in the first place. At least it no longer does it.

Jamaican Cruiser

Reaction score
I started having the mirror issue yesterday :(. Called a dealer close to me and he said to take it in as there is an open TSB on the issue.

I was already taking it in for the Pana Roof

Ford TSB SSM47713
Date: 12/17/2018
Title: 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator - Exterior Mirror Glass Intermittent Clicking Or Ratcheting - Built On Or Before 5-Dec-2018
Models:
  • 2018-2019 Expedition Limited
  • 2018-2019 Expedition MAX Limited
  • 2018-2019 Expedition MAX Platinum
  • 2018-2019 Expedition MAX SSV
  • 2018-2019 Expedition MAX XL
  • 2018-2019 Expedition MAX XLT
  • 2018-2019 Expedition Platinum
  • 2018-2019 Expedition SSV
  • 2018-2019 Expedition XL
  • 2018-2019 Expedition XLT

TimberExpy

Reaction score
Well I hate to resurrect an 3+ year old post, but our '22 Timberline has started to do this with the passenger side mirror. Very intermittent.

When we pull our Expy into the garage at night, we need to fold the mirrors in as we pull in; otherwise the vehicle would not fit through the garage door. So the mirrors don't fold into their position when the truck is locked, b/c they are already in that position. In the morning when the truck is unlocked, the mirrors understandably stay in the folded position b/c the computer knows that they were 'manually' put there. But about a minute after starting the engine, the clicking/ratcheting noise happens on the passenger mirror - without any driver input (we don't hit the button to unfold them or anything). The clicking lasts for a while, and then eventually stops.

Once we pull the truck out of the garage and hit the button to unfold the mirrors, the mirrors unfold and otherwise operate as intended.

So I guess the "Built On Or Before 5-Dec-2018" TSB doesn't apply anymore... there are newer vehicles that have this issue.