1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PATS issue, no start, no crank.

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by Thunderbirdsport, Feb 22, 2021 at 8:51 PM.

1. Thunderbirdsport

Thunderbirdsport Full Access Members

Have two keys, both were working with no issues. About 2 weeks ago when it got really cold, I'd insert a key, turn to start, and nothing would happen for about 5 seconds. Then the cluster warning lights would come (as normal) and then it would be able to be started.

Today, when the key is turned to start, nothing. No cluster warning lights, no start, just that damned PATS light blinking steadily. Either key does the same thing.

I searched, couldn't come up with much other than one fella had his start/run relay replaced at Ford.

Before I drag it to the shop tomorrow, anything else I can try?

I did hook the forscan up to it but it says it can't connect. Not sure if that's a side effect of the PATS locking things out or what...

And to really shit on my parade, my Explorer has a head gasket leak. None of my other vehicles are licensed, the one that does otherwise run needs diff work and isn't safe to drive.

Mel897 likes this.
  2. JExpedition07

JExpedition07 That One Member Supporting Member

Shake the key while you try and crank

Thunderbirdsport likes this.
  3. Thunderbirdsport

I'll try that in a few and follow up with results.

4. Thunderbirdsport

That didn't work, with either key. Going to let it sit with neg batt cable discoed for a couple of hours. Had a lot of Fords under my care, never EVER had one with PATS issues. Is there a way to put a tuner on and disable this shit completely?

I don't need/want it, especially if it will leave me with nothing but driveway art....

5. Mike Expy Poland

Mike Expy Poland Member

Been there buddy.

Ok. BTW: do you get dashes instead of your mileage or your mileage is shown?

If it's shown, it means the Instrument Cluster talks to PCM.

1. Check if you have power to the PCM (in my case - 2007 Expy, it was PIN 8 in connector C175B ). It should get the same as power measured at the battery. If you are not getting power or power is lower than from the battery then there is a problem, likely in the wire leading to engine bay fuse box.

2. replace PCM relay in engine bay fuse box with other relay that you know works (you can use for example the one for blower).

3. Check the fuse for transponder receiver or it's something called like that - in the fuse box by the front passenger.

4. Check if you have grounds in connector C175B - bottom 4 plus I think PIN 66.

Trainmaster likes this.
  6. Trainmaster

Trainmaster Old School Member

I'd go with Mike's advice. Sounds more like a voltage problem than a PATS problem, though I'm just guessing.

Relay contacts, corroded connector, etc... especially since it seems to be getting worse. Electronics usually just outright die.

Thunderbirdsport likes this.