Phaser Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shutterbug57

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just picked up my truck after letting it sit at the dealer overnight. They did the reprogram, but it still rattles on start up. They said to give it 1,000 miles. I will keep a use log for those miles. Call me underwhelmed.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I take mine in for 30K service next week. I'm still going to tell them NOT to do it. It will be interesting to see what response I get.

MHay

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is this update specific to ‘18-‘19 only? I have a ‘20 and did not receive the alert in my Ford Pass app.

Jartmale

Reaction score
Hi, just called my dealer to get FSA 21B10 done on my 2018 Expedition. Was told they don't have the software for the Expedition yet, only the F-150
I had a similar experience last week at my local Dealership- they didn’t know when the “Validation” code would be available and we’re not concerned a bit about this update.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Based on my experience, you are correct.
I had the reprogramming and now I get transmission shutter and it didn’t fix any rattling. My service advisor said it’s likely waste gates so he’s going to replace those AND do a transmission rebuild since I’ve been having dow shifting issues but I have to wait the 1000 miles (like that’s going to do anything).

Don’t do the update in my opinion.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The way I understand it, the software update is not supposed to fix an existing cam phaser issue, it is supposed to prevent the issue from arising if it has not already.

(Long-ish post, sorry)

Firstly, as a recap, there are two common rattles at start-up, one is cam phasers, the other is the turbo wastegate.
1) The cam phaser rattle is a harsh buzz immediately upon cold start and it lasts for 2-3 seconds. Then it is over and you won't hear it again until the next cold start.
2) The turbo wastegate rattle is a softer, rapid ticking sound. It occurs immediately upon cold start but persists for about 90-120 seconds until the components warm up a bit. Sometimes you can also hear it idling in a drive-thru or other instance in which your engine noises are being reflected back at you by a wall.
You might have one, or the other, or both, or neither. They are separate issues.

The software update is only designed to address #1 (the cam phaser buzz), NOT the soft rattle you get from the wastegate. The wastegate rattle is an issue, but not one that Ford has really yet addressed. Some users have successfully managed to convince their dealer to replace some turbo components and have had limited success once they have new parts.

The software update, as I mentioned above, is not designed to fix a cam phaser buzz/rattle once you already have it. From what I understand, the cam phasers start rattling as a result of insufficient oil pressure upon start over time. If the engine cranked a few times it would allow the oil pressure to build before combustion, but these engines don't come from the factory programmed that way; they come programmed to fire up almost immediately when you push the "start" button. The software update changes that...once the new software is in, it forces the engine to crank a few times before combustion thereby building that necessary pressure and lubing the components. But once you have the rattle, the "damage" is done; the phasers are already out of sync, or damaged, or whatever, and additional cranking programmed by the updated software won't repair them.

(Related: if you hold the brake pedal and the gas pedal before/while pressing the "start" button, you can force the engine to crank until you release the brake pedal. Essentially you are manually doing the same thing the software update is doing.)

What the update WILL do, is prevent the cam phaser issue from manifesting. If you get the update before you have a cam phaser problem, the increased cranking and increased oil pressure will allow the parts to get sufficiently lubed before combustion and will (theoretically) prevent the problem.

So, folks that already have the 2-3 second buzz at startup who get this software update looking for a fix are going to be disappointed. It's not supposed to fix the problem, it's supposed to prevent it.

And again, NONE of this will do anything about your turbo wastegate rattle. That is a mechanical issue that is not addressable by a software update.

To recap:

1) turbo wastegate rattle - annoying but not fixed by software update
2) cam phaser buzz - theoretically PREVENTED by software update, NOT FIXED by software update

(as to what effect the software has on your transmission, I have no idea)

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great explanation Aggie.

FWIW...Just had 30K service done today and advisor flat out told me it's not ready for Expedition yet. They had too many issues after doing it and they won't until it's updated...again. F150 update is ready and works.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360