Phone menu was there one day and gone the next.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WOW sorry you had to go through all that. My original dealer's service dept is as bad and I switched to a different one. Original service dept took 5 1/2 hours to change oil and rotate tires because they used the wrong oil and only rotated 3 tires(I knew because I have them numbered and wrote their positions before I handed the keys to them). Fortunately for me in Orlando there are 6-7 Ford dealers within 30 minutes.
I was getting tires put on my work van at a Mr. Tire and luckily was watching and stopped the guy trying to find a socket to fit my plastic lugs on the hubcaps. I was like hey bud that’s a hubcap you know…. you gotta remove that to get to the real lugs. Needless to say I’m never going back to a Mr.Tire again either. Thankfully Ford designed those hubcaps with a off size fake lug or it would’ve been destroyed by the impact had he found a proper fitting socket.

Last edited:

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay I picked my Expy up from the dealership today. It was diagnosed as a bad APIM like we thought but there are none to be found in stock and they are on back order due to the chip shortages. They have no idea when it will come in but they’re gonna call me when it does. I still don’t have a price on the part yet either. So far it’s been no deductible charge for the diagnosis until I take it back for the swap out with the new part. I’ll post again when that finally happens with cost and results.

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a similar problem and took it in 2 weeks ago. They said it needed a new APIM and the cost was about $1000. Since then I have been looking for other options. Today I watched a bunch of videos showing APIM replacement. It doesn't look that difficult. If I can get a new unit, I may give it a try.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I finally got mine fixed a couple weeks back. It was covered under my warranty so there was no pricing on the receipt. I don’t leave the USB cord plugged in all the time now like I used to and make sure it’s a good cord that’s not breaking. I’m not sure if that somehow screwed something up last time with a bad cord shorting out or not? It never blew any fuses though.

ppurdom

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with the menu disapperaring/dis-engaging from the SYNC menu on my 2017 Expedition EL XL. I vaguely recall having bluetooth issues pairing wise. The USB in the console was not sharing data or power. This all happening a week after by driver's side door would only unlock by mechanic lever. I did the door code trick and that solved the door issue (althought the new code only worked that day and not the next, but key worked ever since). I bought the expy recertified and the back 12v dc cig lighter wasn't working and had a bad fuse. the opposite side rear trim was clearly been removed and not placed on correctly at purchase time. It seeems possible its having a cascade of elictrical issues that I was not given transparent history from.

Dealer states the APIM is bad but hasn't explained how they know and what error codes it give to conclude that failure (i believe them just want more technical info to know why. My concern is repeatedly replacing this module every 30K miles +/- 25K. Any thoughts of what would cause APIM and PICM modues to flake?

Thanks
Paul

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After two months, everything started to work again. After two more months, it quit again. It has been over three months and it's still not working. In the mean time, I got a visor unit from Amazon for $35. It is working. I'm totally fed up with Ford. Don't know if I'll ever buy another.

ppurdom

Reaction score
Hi HavasuMike, did it start working on its own or did you replace it and then it worked for a short while. Either bit of information would be very interesting. I'm trying to understand why the APIM would be so fragile. I would guess bad voltage from the USB (but, why didn't they spend $.02-.05 cents to protect back signal). Another strong possibility is corruption to the software, which would be a very Microsoft thing...

Mines been out since 2021 July. Pairing was flaky and by the next day everything but radio/cd was out.

Last edited:

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It started working on its own. I was looking for any options to get it working. I was watching videos and I think I remember the apim module being in the floor console. I think it would be much easier to get to if that is the case. I don't know if I want to replace it since the Ford people I've talked to don't seem too positive about what the problem really is. And my visor unit is working just fine.