Photos of Trailer(s) that you tow with your Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What Ford engine do they use? Trying to think what engine Ford makes that would work in marine application, 6.2L V8 from the Super Duty?

It’s the 6.2 from the F150 raptors. Similar to the super duty 6.2 with different cams from what I understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s the 6.2 from the F150 raptors. Similar to the super duty 6.2 with different cams from what I understand.

Great engine, what’s the redline on that in a boat? In the trucks they’ll shift right at 6 grand.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score

its more than just different cams...Mercruiser gets the engine and takes all the internals out, and puts in all forged stuff, better balancing, etc... Your cruising RPM is probably around 4800 to 5000 RPM and max R's when running full throttle is probably around 6500, and you can run that for an extended period of time. There isn't a "stock" engine that can take that from the factory. Marine engines may be the same block as a car engine, but the internals aren't the same. Just letting you know.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't a huge fan of mercury on the sterndrive end, good inboards and outboards though. I liked the OMC Cobra units.....they finally made a good product and went out of business shortly after. Was a nice durable design and changing the impeller was the easiest I’ve ever done....ah well. Quite beefier than the comparable Mercruiser Alpha One. I still have two Cobra drives sitting on stands in storage.

5F696C47-D9CB-4A24-8BED-F5CB5CDB20FC.jpeg

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many of those Cobra sterndrives were also behind a Ford engine. OMC used Fords 5.0, 5.8, and 7.5L 460 engines behind their products. In fact Ford and the marine industry were defunked for years after the demise of OMC. It seems they’ve just got back in the game now.

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its more than just different cams...Mercruiser gets the engine and takes all the internals out, and puts in all forged stuff, better balancing, etc... Your cruising RPM is probably around 4800 to 5000 RPM and max R's when running full throttle is probably around 6500, and you can run that for an extended period of time. There isn't a "stock" engine that can take that from the factory. Marine engines may be the same block as a car engine, but the internals aren't the same. Just letting you know.

My engines max rpm is 5300 and the manual states not to run over 4000 for an extended period of time. We usually cruise at about 3700 rpm.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wasn't a huge fan of mercury on the sterndrive end, good inboards and outboards though. I liked the OMC Cobra units.....they finally made a good product and went out of business shortly after. Was a nice durable design and changing the impeller was the easiest I’ve ever done....ah well. Quite beefier than the comparable Mercruiser Alpha One. I still have two Cobra drives sitting on stands in storage.

View attachment 31004

there is NOTHING better than an OMC cobra drive!!

Our old boat had a 350ci with a OMC drive... Four Winds commonly used Ford engines too, along with Liberator boats

JimboNoch

Reaction score
Got the WD hitch all setup and adjusted on our new Mallard M312IMG_20190724_192211549.jpg

Update: Just got back from our first weekend trip. Towed great considering it's size. Almost zero sway and it handled very nicely. Didn't stress the Ecobeast powertrain as much as I expected. Very very happy with the whole setup.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I took the 17 out for it's first real trip with my trailer. It towed beautifully. I left all the adjustments where I had them from my 07 and decided when I got back to recheck all the settings because it seemed to have a little too much tongue weight. I ended up tightening up the WDH levers when I got home a little and found it towed much better.

20190727_182346_resized.jpg 20190727_182404_resized.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK