Picking an Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glocke

Reaction score
Howdy everyone. I am excited to meet all of you. My wife and I are looking to buy an Expedition. After spending time what are needs / wants are we have decided that newer Expedition will fit best for us. I am currently deployed overseas with the military assignments which makes it harder to shop around and find what i am looking for since i cant just call a dealership etc.. So if all of you wouldnt mind answering some questions would be very grateful.

Looking at the heavy towing packages we are looking to possibly buy a larger camper (25+ ft) for traveling (national parks etc..) when i come home stateside. I understand that the 3.73 axle and the heavy tow package comes with the upgraded parts. So I understand most of those upgrades are worth the extra money. Looking at the different models XLT, Limited and Platinum. I am confused with the group identification package numbers. I have seen group 202a with certain things, 301a with certain things etc.. like I would like this and this but its hard to understand which comes with what etc..

secondly are there any consistent problems with these models? I was reading that the ecoboost 3.5l has problems with the valves gumming up with the 18-19 models. so they added a second injector to clean it in the 2020 models. Are there other common problems with the transmissions, engine, etc..?

Your opinions are appreciated. Thank you for helping out when im abroad.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best source for the package info is the brochure. I think they went online due to issues with parts availability. But you can search on Google for Expedition brochure for whichever model year you're seeking and it should come up.

If you want to tow a large camper you'll definitely want a Max with HD Tow. The longer wheelbase helps with stability.

OP
OP
G

Glocke

Reaction score
Best source for the package info is the brochure. I think they went online due to issues with parts availability. But you can search on Google for Expedition brochure for whichever model year you're seeking and it should come up.

If you want to tow a large camper you'll definitely want a Max with HD Tow. The longer wheelbase helps with stability.
what kinds of experiences do you have towing your camper? Also do you have any recommendations on sizes of campers that work well with the expeditions since we'll be looking in that area as well.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what kinds of experiences do you have towing your camper? Also do you have any recommendations on sizes of campers that work well with the expeditions since we'll be looking in that area as well.
It works great for towing a camper if you get the weight distribution configured correctly. My only upgrade is stiffer load E tires. My camper is approximately 33 ft and 7k loaded. I think it's near the limit for the chassis but haven't tried anything heavier. Payload is the limiter so I suggest targeting something no more than 6,000 lbs dry.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The ONLY reason I own an Expedition is to tow our camper (and I didn't want a pickup truck). :) But ours is a 23' hybrid and weighs at most 6000 pounds so it's easy peasy. Initally towed this trailer with our '02 Explorer but after a year flogging the poor beast I sent it off to college with my daughter and bought an Expedition V8 with HD tow in 2007. Replaced the '07 when when she neared 200,000 miles with a '17 that's nearly identical to the former '07. No issues with either.

My '17 has the 3.31 axles and HD Tow. "Don't know the trailer is back there" is an obvious exaggeration :) but the system tows flawlessly for this trailer. No issues in the eastern mountains or summer heat.

Regardless of the weight of any proposed trailer I'd never buy a SUV or truck unless it had HD Tow. It's like a $400 option and includes the competent electronic brake system. No one ever wished they had less towing capacity.

My personal rule of thumb for towing is the One Ton Rule. Trailer must weigh no more than the maximum towing capacity of the truck minus 2000 pounds. With my 9200 pound max towing capacity I limit any trailer to 7200 pounds. This rule may seem conservative but tongue weight eats up the majority of cargo capacity on the Expedition.

More recent Expeditions have dual fuel injection systems to keep the valves clean. No issues with my DI only system so far.

-- Chuck

Beachums

Reaction score
Thank you for your service!!!
If you're going clean sheet and you're getting a trailer more than 25' long, pay the extra money for a Propride hitch. If you're going to put the miles on you say your going to, the Propride is going to significantly help offset the short wheelbase on a SUV vs a truck. Clicky Propride Site