Platinum Grill and Bumper - Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all - so lately I've been notice a bit of a clunking/rattling noise as I go over speed bumps and cracks in the road. Happens at virtually any speed and it's pretty loud. I actually initially thought that maybe somehow it was my skid plates so I crawled under, took them off, and found it still happens. I double checked all exhaust components and everything else I can. The sound is clearly coming from the front of the vehicle.

As I was shaking, rocking, and banging on items, I walked around the front of the vehicle and noticed I could replicate a very similar sound by banging on the bumper and grill. The more closely I look at it, it appears that this grill for example has almost no structural support and given that its essentially two layers of plastic not actually bonded together (the layers appear to simply clamp together), and by layers I mean the chrome front and the black ABS rear. These layers rattle a lot if you tap on the grill, and the bumper is essentially the same, seems like little to know support structure, and it wobbles a lot.

Anyone else noticed this and been able to do anything about it? I tried adding some galvanized straps on the bottom skin of the bumper, which didn't seem to help much, and sadly, I know that since I removed the bumper fascia to install my light bar, I'm sure Ford will wipe their hands and say its my fault. I just hate rattles, and flimsy crap... thoughts?

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only time I noticed anything moving was when I inspected the repair the body shop did after I hit a deer. I told them that it wasn’t right and pointed out a couple things. They took it back into the shop and got it squared away. With the stuff you have done I suspect you are correct in that the dealer will charge you…might be a better idea to hit up a local body shop.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni