Platinum no HO Engine, does Sync 4a big screen come with better resolution cameras?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcook01

Reaction score
Hi all,

Proud owner of a 2021 Expedition Platinum here.

I enquired at our local Ford dealer into ordering a 2022 Platinum MAX with all the new goodies. I figured bigger screen, blue cruise, HD tow package, backup assist 2.0, 22 speaker B&O, and a HO Engine would making towing this upcoming season quite worth the upgrade cost.

However try as they may the sales managers were unable to sway Kentucky to build us a new Platinum with the HO engine.

On a side note, but of interest to us as well, is the new 15" screen, and will Ford install higher resolution cameras in the Expedition? Will we be able to hit the camera button and see a temporary rear towing view while on the road? The camera view in our 2021 is pretty terrible and not accessible once driving.

I test drove a new Suburban, the cameras are much clearer, turn signals will trigger a side view to come on screen, and touching the camera button while towing will pop up the rear cameras view for a few seconds.

The lack of a 2022 Platinum without HO Engine coupled with the same camera views is a deal breaker.

I can see Ford seeing the error in their ways when dealers continue to request HO Platinum for customers.

I haven't read much regarding camera improvements in the 2022 Expedition lineup other than the 360 hardware staying the same.

If the existing cameras look a lot better on the newer dash displays that could help but I've not seen any reviews anywhere yet.

In the meantime I'll keep on towing in a very nice machine.

Regards, John

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why is the ho motor a big deal, the towing performance doesn't change? Is 400hp not enough? Also, have sat in the 2022 to see the camera? The 21 f150 has hd camera views, so it's safe to assume the expy will too. You can take a look at an f150 to see the views, or get lucky and see a new expy.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, the camera with Sync 4 is much better. It's not the camera itself, it's the screen in Sync 3 that doesn't support high resolution.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can see Ford seeing the error in their ways when dealers continue to request HO Platinum for customers.
You seem to know already that the platinum does not come with the HO motor. It is an uptuned version of the standard 3.5. It’s still very potent, and does not change towing capacity.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tune is cheaper than the upcharge for the ho as well. Also, a fully loaded expy max is the near the same price as a nav reserve by a couple of grand.

Dworth

Reaction score
Although, 40 ponies is not much to feel a difference, I can see their point. You are getting crème de la crème package it should have all loaded options.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, the camera with Sync 4 is much better. It's not the camera itself, it's the screen in Sync 3 that doesn't support high resolution.
Not true. The cameras in the 21 and below are lower quality cameras. The 21+ 150's actually has newer cameras. Yes, the Sync 4 screens have a higher resolution, but so did the portrait display in the 2020+ Explorers(Sync 3), and the cameras still looked bad. If Ford does not swap to the new cameras found in the 21+ 150, the resolution will still be bad. One would assume they will, but with part and chip shortages, only time will tell.

OP
OP
J

jcook01

Reaction score
Although, 40 ponies is not much to feel a difference, I can see their point. You are getting crème de la crème package it should have all loaded options.
You get my point exactly, I'm spending that kind of money I expect it to have all of the Goodies.

It's not just a tad bit more horse and torque it also has beefier internal engine components.

I'm not advocating that I would have a higher rated tow rating however given the life time of a vehicle towing at grade many times each year the added ponies and internal structure of the engine would make a difference with regards to towing.

...Nuff said...

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there technical data supporting the Stealth/Timberline 3.5 having "beefier" internals? From what I have read, nothings different internally.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there technical data supporting the Stealth/Timberline 3.5 having "beefier" internals? From what I have read, nothings different internally.
slightly different cam shaft and turbo. Not exactly "beefier" just slightly different.

You get my point exactly, I'm spending that kind of money I expect it to have all of the Goodies.
This is where the Navigator will fit in... ford has to differentiate their product line slightly for exactly the reason you raise. While it would be great to have the HO engine in their top trim, it would start to eat into Nav purchases.