PLEASE HELP : Slow to fill gas tank solutions??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eddie Lanham

Reaction score
So for a while now when I go to the pump I have to slowly pump gas, if I pump too fast the gas will regurgitate and overflow everywhere! A year ago I dropped the tank to replace the fuel pump and since then I’ve had the issue. There are no kinks in any hoses. And the baffle is not clogged I have checked. My car throws the P0442 evap System leak every now and then and goes away. I’m thinking a dirty Evap canister maybe the problem? Honestly I’m so clueless with this, as I am not very knowledgeable about the fuel tank assembly! Please help anyone!!!!!

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"With a P0442, the most common DIY repair is to: Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the codes, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back. Otherwise, replace the gas cap (we recommend an OEM original part, not aftermarket part), or Visually inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses More advanced troubleshooting steps include: Using an advanced scan tool, perform an EVAP leak test Verify operation of the EVAP purge solenoid / valve Perform a smoke test to see where the leak is Generally there are vehicle and model specific procedures for proper diagnosis of this DTC."

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0442
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

SOURCE: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0442

I don't understand how a gas cap would be involved during fuel delivery. It is removed, and out of the equation.

Have experienced being able to only fill tank to about 1/2 full, then delivery shut off (2006 Mustang GT). Solved by replacing vapor canister.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I agree with Don, air has to be able to escape your tank when filling it up otherwise you're fighting the laws of physics

OP
OP
E

Eddie Lanham

Reaction score
"With a P0442, the most common DIY repair is to: Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the codes, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back. Otherwise, replace the gas cap (we recommend an OEM original part, not aftermarket part), or Visually inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses More advanced troubleshooting steps include: Using an advanced scan tool, perform an EVAP leak test Verify operation of the EVAP purge solenoid / valve Perform a smoke test to see where the leak is Generally there are vehicle and model specific procedures for proper diagnosis of this DTC."

Copyright OBD-Codes.com

I don't understand how a gas cap would be involved during fuel delivery. It is removed, and out of the equation.

Have experienced being able to only fill tank to about 1/2 full, then delivery shut off (2006 Mustang GT). Solved by replacing vapor canister.
So I took off my evap canister and blew into the hoses etc, however I’ve read that there’s a Solonoid somewhere that can get stuck open. Could this be the problem? Also it is not throwing the code anymore I took the cap off and put it back on, drive around and the code went away. The hoses on the gas tank are not kinked, nothing is kinked. So that would mean the canister is bad? You really think replacing that thing will solve the issue? I’ve never ever had one go bad!

OP
OP
E

Eddie Lanham

Reaction score
So I took off my evap canister and blew into the hoses etc, however I’ve read that there’s a Solonoid somewhere that can get stuck open. Could this be the problem? Also it is not throwing the code anymore I took the cap off and put it back on, drive around and the code went away. The hoses on the gas tank are not kinked, nothing is kinked. So that would mean the canister is bad? You really think replacing that thing will solve the issue? I’ve never ever had one go bad!

Copyright OBD-Codes.com

I have also read that over filling the tank could damage the canister, I am guilty of pumping the extra 25 cents into the tank yes. I’ll get to it and see if it solves the problem !

OP
OP
E

Eddie Lanham

Reaction score
I have also read that over filling the tank could damage the canister, I am guilty of pumping the extra 25 cents into the tank yes. I’ll get to it and see if it solves the problem !
Also no sir, I can fill my tank but it has to be slowly. It doesn’t stop at a half or quarter tank. I literally sit there for 30 minutes with my hand cramping lightly pulling the gas handle to pour gas..

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you decide to replace the canister, check the prices at rockauto.com. Very competitive, quality selection, and fast processing/shipping