Please help with driver door lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Happy

Reaction score
Hello, I've got a problem with my 1997 Expedition. I use it to plow with.

I will leave the Expedition running and I will get out to shovel by hand or salt. The drivers side door will lock me out. No other doors will lock. I have an extra key and FOB but it will not let me in. I have to get in the back seat and open the door.

I have put a vise grip on the actual lock but the door still locks. Yes, I have manually disabled the automatic door lock out.

Anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking about going to the fuse box under the hood. Taking out the #3 slot 30 amp power lock fuse. I took this fuse out but it did not help the problem. In fact when I went to use both of my keys to open the drivers side door it would not let me in. The keys did open the passenger side.

I have talked with the local Ford dealer and they have never heard of this problem.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well two questions come to mind. 1, if your pulling the proper fuse for the door locks, theirs no way the solenoid can activate, and 2, why don't your keys turn the door tumbler. Your going to need to take your drivers door apart, and check the rods going to the tumbler, as well as all solenoids. I had my 2000 one time lock the doors, but was able to use keyless code to open back up. Only other thing comes to mind is your expedition is a distant relative of Christine, the 58 Plymouth fury, if that's the case, get a new vehicle. In the movie it didn't end well!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk