Pooch in the Rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So we're on our first long trip traveling with our yellow lab and he loves it. A minor issue we're having is that if we leave him in the car and lock the doors, he sets off the alarm (motion sensor). Yea, I know, someone's just bound to flip out about leaving a dog in a car - but we've cared for dogs for 35 years now and never had an issue (we're very careful).

So in hopes of not having the thread go down that bunny-hole, please limit responses to any advice you have on working around this. Our quick look in the manual did not show any advanced setting options that allows the alarm to be deactivated. Are we missing something? Thanks

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you need to set the alarm to "Ask on Exit" (or something like that) to get that screen that let's you choose perimeter only. I always forget to choose it and the dogs trigger the alarm. I've even had a lady bug flying around trigged it. I wish there was an option to have perimeter only as the default.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went out and looked for myself. When the two choices appear in the gauge cluster, the top choice 'All Sensors' will be highlighted. Using the down button (under the OK button) on the left side of the steering wheel, you can change the highlight to 'Perimeter Only' and eliminate inside sensors; but it will default to 'All Sensors' on subsequent shutdowns.

OP
OP
Bill Schell

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you shut off the car, a screen displays offering you two options on security. One of these is "perimeter only." select that and the inside motion sensors are deactivated. The owners manual should explain how to select it.

I will try that, thank you. My wife was reading the manual while we were driving and must have missed that description... that's my excuse anyway :).

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the pups in the car all day today. Twice I remembered to click "Perimeter Only" but the last time I forgot. They really need to allow you to choose it as default (cuz I'm not getting any younger, therefore my memory isn't getting any better).