Poor gas milage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimW

Reaction score
Good day!
My average mpg is around 13-14mpg. I have the Five Star tune for daily/tow 87 Octane and a cat back exhaust. I know I have bigger tires but seems like a lot of people on the forum are getting at least 18mpg.
Should I "try" to contact Five Star about this?
Is there anyone else getting the same mpg as my truck?

Thanks

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is that around town/mix driving? I only get 18+ on long highway drives. My around town average is 12-14ish.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been keeping a detailed spreadsheet of my gas mileage since I got mine.

I bought it with 75 miles on it so my spreadsheet takes that into consideration and doesn't count those. Between 12/11/19 and 4/26/22, I have accrued 42,299.1 miles. In that time, I have averaged 16.120 MPG, 338.4 miles per tank, 20.936 average gal/fill-up, $71.16 per fill-up, avg. cost per gallon is $3.40, and avg. cost per mile is $0.22. I traveled 14,189.6 miles in 2020; 21,832.7 miles in 2021; and 6,351.8 miles thus far in 2022.

When towing on a highway, I usually get 12-14mpg. When not towing on a highway, I usually get 18-20mpg. I never go more than 5 over the speed limit (unless passing I might go a bit more) and don't rev or race off the line at lights or stop signs. I'm a relatively conservative driver in that respect. I have not really calculated straight city driving, but it is probably in the same 12-14 mpg as if I am towing. My town has a lot of lights and stop signs (inner city style atmosphere).

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good day!
My average mpg is around 13-14mpg. I have the Five Star tune for daily/tow 87 Octane and a cat back exhaust. I know I have bigger tires but seems like a lot of people on the forum are getting at least 18mpg.
Should I "try" to contact Five Star about this?
Is there anyone else getting the same mpg as my truck?

Thanks

I'm sure you corrected for the tire height. If not it will throw mileage off a bit. Roughly 2 mph less for every inch of tire height added. This will show less mpg's then what you're actually getting.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Typical for lift, big tires, spacers. Take that stuff off and watch you milage come right back. Theres a reason the factory doesn't sell them that way......

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Typical for lift, big tires, spacers. Take that stuff off and watch you milage come right back. Theres a reason the factory doesn't sell them that way......
Ironically, my Average MPG is exactly the same before and after my lift, bigger tires, and removal of front air dam -- 16.1 mpg. I just added those fields into my spreadsheet because I was curious.

Well, I guess technically it went down -- Before lift = 16.135 and after lift = 16.112.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heavier tires and 87 octane reduce your mpg. I lost around 1 - 2 mpg going with all terrain load E. I gained 1 mpg going with premium instead of regular. My around town mpg usually averages between 15 - 17 depending on the highway/city mix. One of the reasons I started using premium is that I noticed better mpg, which effectively reduced the premium paid per gallon. The vehicle is a heavy brick...there's not really much you can do apart from being gentle with the gas pedal, staying under 65 mph, and minimizing stop/start. I got over 20 mpg when I drove like there was an egg under the gas pedal. It's actually pretty amazing what a vehicle this size can do when you drive to maximize mpg.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I average 16 mpg with new Michelin Defender and 87 octane gas. Highway is about 20 mpg so I'm satisfied. Whenever I tow my 4000 lbs boat, the mpg is like 10 or less.

OP
OP
J

JimW

Reaction score
Yes that is my overall average. Thanks of the feedback.
I would like to run premium gas but it's so expensive right now. Five Star told me the 3.5 really does better with premium even without a tune. I'm sure that would add to the mpg.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes that is my overall average. Thanks of the feedback.
I would like to run premium gas but it's so expensive right now. Five Star told me the 3.5 really does better with premium even without a tune. I'm sure that would add to the mpg.
I have always run Premium. My reason was not straight performance, but because I tow and that is the recommended fuel grade Ford says to use when towing.