Popping/crackling noise from audio system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigRedTruck

Reaction score
I posted a query about this yesterday, but I believe my inclusion of an URL for reference caused it to be rejected. So, my apologies if the other eventually posts, but I wanted to ask before I return the truck for service (again).

My 2021 Expedition has developed a crackling/popping noise in the audio system. It usually occurs when i leave the truck parked in the hot sun, then drive for 10-15 minutes. Sometimes, the noise is generated spontaneously, but most often it is triggered by driving over a bump or a rough road. It is completely unaffected by the radio volume, and even the on/off switch for the radio -- as the system is still powered for the handsfree unit, etc.

We traded up from a Honda Pilot a couple of years ago, and the Pilot had exactly the same problem. It ultimately led to a recall and a class action lawsuit. The problem was a bad/loose connector.

My local service advisor doesn't know of any TSB from Ford, but due to other issues I'm not confident about his knowledge. The truck has already been in for service, and their audio technician handed it off to the "trim" technician, claiming it wasn't an audio problem (I think this may be how responsibility is demarcated, rather than a definitive diagnosis). That technician claimed to hear and fix a noise in the sunroof (which I've never heard), and returned it to me.... and the audio noise resumed about 10 minutes into my drive home.

I will be returning truck for service tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have a video of the noise, but it's too large to upload. If I can extract the audio track, can I upload it here?

Last edited:

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you have the audio for the dealer to listen to, did they test drive it? Could shorten the video to load it here.

OP
OP
B

BigRedTruck

Reaction score
I did send the video to the service advisor. I don't think it made it to the technician, or he would have known it wasn't the sunroof.