Popping Noise From Rear A/C Blower '03 Expo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raiderx65

Reaction score
my '05 has been doing the same thing for years. sounded like a plastic gear that kept trying to turn after it reached its limit. my will only do it if the fan is on 1 or 4. if its on high or low it doesn't do it. I has not affected anything so I have not messed with it.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yall need to spend the $50 for the parts and replace it...very easy to do...take off that side...4 screws on the motor...unplug...reinput...replace panel...and the $50 is to replace both...might as well replace them so u wont have to go back in again...

AskMeLater

Reaction score
I just replaced the rear floor/roof selector a couple days ago...AGAIN! This time it's the OEM Ford part (Motorcraft p/n YH-1743) Hopefully it will last longer than the Dorman part that I've tried twice in the past five months!

skywagon

Reaction score
Getting at the lower air blend actuator

Thanks to all for the many details. . .
My 2003XLT has the lower, hot/cold, actuator with stripped gears. With the tray & drink holder popped out, they can both be viewed..
What I need is the specific details on what to pop loose/unscrew to get the side panel popped out just enough so a guy with normal sized hands can get his hand & as small wrench in to release the motor actuator & get a new one installed.
I would really appreciate those details. Thanks

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ur hands wont fit becuz there are screws holding it in place that are too difficult to get out...i spent 30 minutes trying not to take of the panel...only takes 5 minutes to take the panel off...trust me it worth taking it off

skywagon

Reaction score
Details for popping off the side panel. . .

The removal of the side panel "in 5 minutes" sounds great. . !!
I have not had that panel off before. Thus, I don't know where to effectively start. Where the screws are to remove and where to press on the molded in snaps that probably have to be depressed before panel pops free from the associated moldings.

Those details/steps would be very helpful. . .Thanks

skywagon

Reaction score
Thanks GuilfMan for the web link to this Ford site. The details are very clear. It is a shame that Ford designs made this simple repair envolve so many steps get to the actuator. These actuators look very mickey mouse using plastic gears in the primary gear set. Would be a terrific option if someone familiar with the model RC car hobbys found an exact set of metal gears that would pop into this gear train location.

bllon42s

Reaction score
Hey im new to the form and looking in to buying a expedition soon.
But any way I don't now if this will help but my dad has a 2002 Chevy trail blazer and It made the exact same noise
What caused it was unhooking the battery when you didn't have all the blower setting turned off
the only way to fix it was with ever thing turned off unhook the battery cable for about 30 seconds then put it back on and get in shut the door and turn the key to the run position and then dont touch any thing for 2 1/2 minutes and it recalibrateted ever thing and it hasn't done it since
but that was a Chevrolet and there probably not the same but its worth a try hope it helps

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not for expeditions...there are 2 motors in the rear ac area that around 7-10 yrs give out due to the gears in the box...of course this depends on how much u use it as well