Popping Noise From Rear A/C Blower '03 Expo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skywagon

Reaction score
Steps to Removing the Side Panel. . .

Gulfman. . again, thanks for that by-the-step link to pulling that side panel.
I have 2 additions that I would add to that procedure for future forum readers.
1. On step #4, there is also a plasic button above the seat belt attach point and must be popped out. Under that is an 8 mm bolt that holds the paneling.
2. Tie a string to the 8 mm wrench you maybe using to remove the 4 mounting screws of the blend actuator. If you happen to drop the small wrench, it falls a long way down into the narrow floor level area.
skywagon

gulfman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hope it all works out. My hands were all scratched when I was done. The job is just a pain in the ass.

DSNY

Reaction score
After learning that I couldn't simply leave it off, I did this and it worked. The actuator arm doesn't move and I now have it permanently on the roof position.

I know this is an old post but I read it before I was a member - and now I'm a member I feel I should say thanks!

I could add one tip. If you do find the actuator arm moves over time (which mine did) simply slot in the arm control from the removed control box. I then used a couple of cable ties to keep it in place set to roof.

We seldom actually have people in the back, but if we do the fan controls still work from front or back, they just cant choose roof or feet LOL

mmaurerlv

Reaction score
Popping Noise from Rear A/C

On my 2003 Expedition I just replaced /repaired the Rear A/C actuators. There are 2. One is top mounted and one is side mounted. They are in the passenger side, rear panel next to the third row seat. The clicking noise is caused by a stripped gear in the actuator (gear box), which is easily removed and replaced.
In my case, I replaced the top one, the air distribution actuator, which had a stripped gear in it, only to find that the original clicking sound came from the side mounted one, the Temperature Blend Door Actuator. Consequently I then replaced (repaired) the side mounted one.
Lucky for me, I opened each actuator case and saw the stripped gear in each. In the side mounted actuator, I found that the stripped gear was the smaller of the 2 gears. It happened that this smaller gear matched the smaller gear from the top mounted actuator (which was not stripped) so I swapped the good one for the bad one and fixed two actuators by only buying one replacement.
The best You Tube videos for these is FordTechMakuloco. Check him out!

Last edited:

Zylfrax791

Reaction score
It's the actuator box for the rear unit vent duct door. The plastic gear strips off the teeth inside and it's basically toast and it makes the annoying noise. It's around $60 from the dealer and you need a T50 Torx to take of the seatbelt bolt to get the upper trim off to get the lower trim off to get access to the unit.

thor294

Reaction score
Should make a 1 post sticky with all correct information instead of having to fish through 16 pages. My 03 has this issue. Looks like im going to the boneyard to pull gears from some 1st gens tomorrow!

kjohn241

Reaction score
clicking noise

I have a 2003 Expedition with the same problem. Found it to be the motor that controls the louver door. It is what changes air flow from the ceiling to the floor. It's under the right rear wheel well cover. The motor can be found on e-bay, "motor craft:favorites37: part" for around ninety dollars. If you feel like going to your local dealer it will cost over a hundred.. Remove the rectangle panel from the right side in the rear of the vehicle to gain access..

mdfan

Reaction score
My 04 has this issue in the rear. I went to the junkyard and salvaged a bunch of gears fro a few acutator boxes- they didnt have any exact fit acutators but the gears are all the same.

When I put it back in and test it, the motor never stops turning. So, when I change the blend, it turns the gears till the door closes, and then keeps trying to turn the gears. It stripped the first new gear, but I got extras so im good there.

What tells the motor to stop spinning the gears? Ive tested with one of the 3 gears removed, and the motor will spin both directions, when the blend is changed. But it never stops spinning in that direction.

Seems so simple, cant figure it out.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I had this problem I got the part numbers and bought both on ebay for $50...easy install 20 mins later good to go

Mr. 10K

krazy_dan27

Reaction score
I know exactly what it is

It's your rear AC air directional actuator. You have two of them. The popping is the flap motor driver resetting or activating over and over. I took the panel apart, unplugged the power and set it to floor direction. You switch on the rear AC, no popping. This of course is a temp fix till you order and actuator replacement thru your dealer for $99. Or you to a you pull it yard and get one for $50