Popping Noise in Steering Column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LDRamsey

Reaction score
2013 Expedition 51k miles.
Has anyone experienced a popping noise in the steering column? This happens when I turn the steering wheel. The dealership is telling me that it is a broken bearing but the bearing cannot be replaced and the entire steering column needs to be replaced - cost ~$1700. I'd like a second opinion. Anyone experienced this problem.

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
maybe a local salvage yard would have one cheaper but it may not be a bearing some places just know how to get money out of ppl but then again he may be right idk

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have these symptoms? Any up and down play in the steering wheel?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you make a left or right and use your turn signals after the turn and you straighten out does the turn signal cancel or do you have to manually turn them off

AlexNorton74

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had this same issue since I've lifted my 2003 expy. Only had a pop once or twice and once was before I had it aligned. As far as turn signals go mine have to be turned off manually because my steering wheel doesn't straighten up completely. My steering is very loose and the steering wheel ***** to the left or right after making a turn. I think my issue is coming from my inner and outter tie rods.

Brent Harward

Reaction score
2013 Expedition w/90K miles. Popping in steering wheel. Car off, sitting behind the wheel, just lifting up and down on the steering wheel will give the popping noise. Turning not needed. Adjusting the tilt doesn't make any difference. HELP. Everything I see is for the lower end. This is at the top. T.U.

GaryB

Reaction score
Brent,
Having a similar issue on my 2010. Did you get this solved? Also, if it helps I saw someone mention the tilt column feature may cause this.

espritv8

Reaction score
I've looked into the problem. The tilt mechanism has a loose in it so the steering wheel has a little up and down play.

Te repair this, I should replace the steering wheel tilt motor assembly.

It's rather easy to check. Remove the 3 screws holding the lower steering column cover, and raise your steering wheel. You'll see if it's your issue or something else.

Replacing it seems a little more difficult, since there's a hard to reach large cutter pin holing the assembly to the column.