Power Difference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kodigray2015

Reaction score
Ok, I’m sure somewhere in this forum this has been addressed, but I can’t find anything on it.

How does the Navigator have 75 hp more than the Expedition? Is it just computer programming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ-Idaho

Reaction score
My understanding is the XLT has 375hp, the platinum has 400hp, and the navigator has 450hp. Is that wrong?

You are correct. Supposedly, the Navi gets Raptor tuning, and possibly some hardened bits to support the 450 hp and increased torque. Aftermarket Tuning for expeditions yield in excess of 450 hp. But, there might be increased Hardware risk. Most tuners and Even dealers discount the risk to hardware.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let’s clarify a few things...

ALL Expeditions have the same motor. The Platinum is merely tuning differences from the factory. A limited and a Platinum when aftermarket tuned have the same power potential.

The Navi is a slightly different Motor. It is the HO 3.5 2nd Gen found in the Raptor, and the F150 Limited. Different pistons, runs lower compression, with more boost. It is capable of more power with just tuning than the non-HO motor found in the Expedition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My understanding is the XLT has 375hp, the platinum has 400hp, and the navigator has 450hp. Is that wrong?

Correct. XLT, Limited - 375. Platinum - 400. Navi - 450.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check part numbers for the turbochargers in the catalog. I suspect the Navigator has larger turbos and some other special bits.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check part numbers for the turbochargers in the catalog. I suspect the Navigator has larger turbos and some other special bits.

HO Motor has the exact same size turbo, the material is different though for the turbine. It can handle higher heat.

Like was mentioned above only internal difference is the Pistons and lower compression. Supposedly the exhaust manifold has some slight differences, but I have never been able to clarify. Never seen them side by side.