Power Difference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll just add here that my 18 Expedition and 18 Navigator are miles apart in the power department. The Navigator absolutely rears up when you hammer it, and it just pulls and pulls. The Expedition does great too, but its got nothing on the Navigator.

The navigator is annoying tho, it downshifts on every dam hill and my expedition walks every hill in 10th gear. The navigator is tuned to shift under load I guess.

albertobb

Reaction score
Let’s clarify a few things...

ALL Expeditions have the same motor. The Platinum is merely tuning differences from the factory. A limited and a Platinum when aftermarket tuned have the same power potential.

The Navi is a slightly different Motor. It is the HO 3.5 2nd Gen found in the Raptor, and the F150 Limited. Different pistons, runs lower compression, with more boost. It is capable of more power with just tuning than the non-HO motor found in the Expedition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I don't think all expeditions have the same engine. the 5.4 v2 second generation and the 5.4 v3 third generation have differences.
the third generation has
variable valve opening and sefi, multipoint sequential injection.
With these changes, I think it is the same cylinder but technologically different, I think from 2007 to 2014 they are like this. greatly improved.
or I'm wrong.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think all expeditions have the same engine. the 5.4 v2 second generation and the 5.4 v3 third generation have differences.
the third generation has
With these changes, I think it is the same cylinder but technologically different, I think from 2007 to 2014 they are like this. greatly improved.
or I'm wrong.

I understood @LokiWolf to be referring to 4th Gen Expeditions given the context of the thread.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
the third generation has
or I'm wrong.

As this is the 4th Gen area...there are only 2nd Gen 3.5 Twin Turbo EcoBoosts in play. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll just add here that my 18 Expedition and 18 Navigator are miles apart in the power department. The Navigator absolutely rears up when you hammer it, and it just pulls and pulls. The Expedition does great too, but its got nothing on the Navigator.

The navigator is annoying tho, it downshifts on every dam hill and my expedition walks every hill in 10th gear. The navigator is tuned to shift under load I guess.

Deadman - Is your Expedition tuned?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like 93 isn't as available as 91, per this map, and it is heavily concentrated east of the Mississippi. Even then when you zoom in it isn't available everywhere.

https://www.zeemaps.com/mobile?group=1385950

Out of all the information in this thread...you focused on that? HaHa.

Population wise that is the majority! Especially when you factor the population centers in Cali and Vegas. Heck, A LOT of them in the west have higher than 93(Mostly Blue dots).

I have only been West of the Mississippi probably 10-15 times in my life...so that could be my bias...

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Out of all the information in this thread...you focused on that? HaHa.

Population wise that is the majority! Especially when you factor the population centers in Cali and Vegas. Heck, A LOT of them in the west have higher than 93(Mostly Blue dots).

I have only been West of the Mississippi probably 10-15 times in my life...so that could be my bias...

I looked at those Blue dots, I think those are Race Fuel dealers, not necessarily pump stations. It looks like a lot of stations, but when you really zoom in to a given area, it isn't readily available, there are 3 stations in my city listed as having 93, same chain, but have only known the 1 location to actually have 93. That is an area with 500,000+ people. I don't know if the east coast is more standard with 93 as premium, but out west it definitely isn't the case.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked at those Blue dots, I think those are Race Fuel dealers, not necessarily pump stations. It looks like a lot of stations, but when you really zoom in to a given area, it isn't readily available, there are 3 stations in my city listed as having 93, same chain, but have only known the 1 location to actually have 93. That is an area with 500,000+ people. I don't know if the east coast is more standard with 93 as premium, but out west it definitely isn't the case.

I’m East Coast and in the MD, VA, DE, PA, NJ areas where I have purchased gas, 93 is standard Premium numbers.

As a matter of fact, I have only seen one station that carried 91 as Premium, but it also had 93 and it was called Super Premium. It also has 87 and 89. It was in DE, near Bear. I can’t remember what it was. It was a random gas station along one of the roads that I was driving on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk