Power foaming a 3.5 ecoboost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nevin

Reaction score
Hey all, its my first post here on the forum. Just bought a 2015 expedition El the other day with higher miles (its all highway, i have spoken with previous owner) and was wondeeing abiut doing something like amsoil power foam to clean the valves and intake what with the motor being direct injection and all.

However I do see a maf sensor on top of the intake manifold and I know the foam stuff is not sensor friendly.

Any thoughts or tips? Recently did it on my 99 f150 with great results. It has 154k. Oddly, my 2015 ecoboost actually has MORE miles, lol

I did a search for "power foam ecoboost" on here and didnt really come up with much useful.

Sorry if this is a common question.

Also i want to flush the tranny and I did work in a shop for 10+ years so i have plenty of tools and i have flushed other trannies but I no longer have access to a tranny fluid exchanger. Is this the kind of thing i can do in my driveway or shouls i take it to my local shop?

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, its my first post here on the forum. Just bought a 2015 expedition El the other day with higher miles (its all highway, i have spoken with previous owner) and was wondeeing abiut doing something like amsoil power foam to clean the valves and intake what with the motor being direct injection and all.

However I do see a maf sensor on top of the intake manifold and I know the foam stuff is not sensor friendly.

Any thoughts or tips? Recently did it on my 99 f150 with great results. It has 154k. Oddly, my 2015 ecoboost actually has MORE miles, lol

I did a search for "power foam ecoboost" on here and didnt really come up with much useful.

Sorry if this is a common question.

Also i want to flush the tranny and I did work in a shop for 10+ years so i have plenty of tools and i have flushed other trannies but I no longer have access to a tranny fluid exchanger. Is this the kind of thing i can do in my driveway or shouls i take it to my local shop?
Owners manual states take it in for tranny service. You have to decide if you want them to do it the right way or you “think” you’re doing it right and screw it all up.

DO NOT USE FOAMERS OR FUEL ADDITIVES!!! Cannot stress this enough, you will be making a very expensive mistake. Best thing to do is get yourself an oil catch can (JLT for instance) and every now and then hit her WOT up to 100mph to clean the valves. It’s not my truck, but I would never put any fuel or foam cleaners in an ecoboost, ever

OP
OP
N

Nevin

Reaction score
Yeah i was looking at a catch can or something. I used to run subarus and air oil separators were quite popular. It was one of my favorite mods. Does such a thing exist for the ecoboost? Thr hoses from the pxv fed to a piece that threaded into the oil fill and the old vapor would drop right back into the oul and you would never lose a drop or get oil in the intake. I really should take my intercooler off and clean it out too probably.

And why no additives or thibgs like that? Just an honest question.

And like i said, i have flushed many trannies before the correct way with a machine but havent looked in there yet to see what style connectors and everything it is.

OP
OP
N

Nevin

Reaction score
And im sorry for the typos. My phones autocorrect is very awful. Thanks foe the swift reply.

And the reason about asking about the power foam is simply because since i already have high miles im sure the buildup is already there.

A catch can is fine to fend off future buildup but its not going to undo what is already there. What are my alternatives?

Edit*

Also i cleaned the maf sensors the other day and noticed the oil buildup inside the intake manifold, thats what made me think of it in the first place.

Last edited:

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And im sorry for the typos. My phones autocorrect is very awful. Thanks foe the swift reply.

And the reason about asking about the power foam is simply because since i already have high miles im sure the buildup is already there.

A catch can is fine to fend off future buildup but its not going to undo what is already there. What are my alternatives?

Edit*

Also i cleaned the maf sensors the other day and noticed the oil buildup inside the intake manifold, thats what made me think of it in the first place.
Google sea foam ecoboost, I’m sure you’ll find plenty of reasons why not to. Ford specifically states by tonise any of that type of stuff bc of potential damage to internal parts. Why would you want to do something that they specifically say not to do? You’re better off just going the oil catch can route with 5000 mile full synthetic oil changes

OP
OP
N

Nevin

Reaction score
Sea foam and power foam are not the same, i think you may be mistaken. The amsoil power foam is made to spray into the intake while the engine is running and then you shut it off and let it sit on the valves for 10 to 15 minutes then run the vehicle again.

Im not going to just go do it right now and ignore what youre saying, but im just asking what IS the correct way?

CRC makes a product specifically for cleaning gdi engines.

Last edited:

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sea foam and power foam are not the same, i think you may be mistaken. The amsoil power foam is made to spray into the intake while the engine is running and then you shut it off and let it sit on the valves for 10 to 15 minutes then run the vehicle again.

Im not going to just go do it right now and ignore what youre saying, but im just asking what IS the correct way?

Like I said, no foam should be sprayed in here. Ask your dealer service tech

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is no correct way, 5000 mile oil changes, catch can, and drive it like u stole it every now and then

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I’m not gonna tell you what to do tonyor own truck, just keep this in the back of your mind when your putting that foam in there

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
MANY and I mean MANY have used the CRC brand Intake cleaners on Ecoboosts with positive outcomes.

I have helped several people with High Mile EB 150’s do it and it made noticeable difference in performance of the engine. Helped one with a rough idle. Another’s MPG went back to where they expected it to be. All positive.

Use it, follow instructions from the video and the can, and you won’t have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro