Power Fold mirrors -- how do they work?

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by star-art, Dec 5, 2019.

1. star-art

star-art Full Access Members

OK, this may sound like a really stupid question to ask. I did look though and I could not find the answer -- even in the owner's manual.

My '17 XLT does not have power-fold mirrors but I want to add this option. I'm curious to know exactly how the power fold switch works. I know you first place the mirror switch in the "neutral" position, then pull back on the switch to fold the mirrors in.

My question is, once the mirrors have been folded, do you pull back on the switch again to "un-fold" them? Or, do you push forward on the switch to un-fold?

The factory wiring diagram is a bit confusing. There's one input line to the Driver Door Module for power-fold activation. The diagram appears to show the switch internally connects this input to +12V when you pull back on the knob (i.e. "up"). That makes sense. But, the diagram also appears to show that the switch internally connects this same input to ground if you push forward on the knob (i.e. "down"). That's why I was confused about the operation of the switch.

Thanks for your help and for putting up with such a seemingly silly question! :)

EDIT: The owner's manual does say to pull back to fold or un-fold. So I guess I answered my own question. Again, just wanting to confirm. . . Thanks!

2. oldpaddy

oldpaddy Full Access Members

Yup. Pull back to close and open. I'm a big fan of the power windows. Makes parking better. I wish they auto folded.

3. star-art

star-art Full Access Members

Thank you! :)

4. Gary Waugh

Gary Waugh Full Access Members

As stated, you pull back on the switch to make them retract/fold-in and you pull back on the switch again to make them come out.. I also wish they automatically folded in when you locked the car, I use the feature every time I park the truck.

Gary

oldpaddy and MrTommy like this.
  5. RogerD1959

RogerD1959 2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+ Supporting Member

I have not done this yet, but am considering it. With the FORScan app, a laptop, and a GOOD OBDII bluetooth interface, some have said this is possible via the BCM module. The F-150 allows for it in its electronic stuff, and I read some of the Expeditions can be programmed to, 2017 and up. When you look the doors with the remote they fold in, unlock they fold out.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

6. JExpedition07

JExpedition07 Winterized Member Supporting Member

I’m not sure if you can add the power fold mirrors if you don’t already have the heated/memory turn signal mirrors with the right harness. Unless it’s all the same one or this was an option on later XLTs? Originally it was only the upper trims. I’ve found my loaded up Eddie Bauer has a lot more to the wiring harnesses and a lot more Canbus involvement than my previous XLT. Lots of the options would have been a nightmare to add to my XLT...although you’ve always been good with this stuff so maybe. Would be cool if you get it to work.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  7. TXFRDOwner

TXFRDOwner Full Access Members

If you don’t have memory seats (i.e. a DSM) ..... You can still add power fold mirrors ... the old way with the powerfold relay.

That’s how I added PF mirrors to my 07 F-150 and Expedition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. JExpedition07

JExpedition07 Winterized Member Supporting Member

What’s the difference in procedure if you DO have the Memory function seats/power pedals/heated&turn signal mirrors? My Eddie Bauer has all of the above except power-fold function.

9. TXFRDOwner

I’d start with confirming whether or not the wiring is already there

Mirror Switch Connector C527 - Pin 4 / wire color GY-BN, which goes to DSM - Connector C341C / Pin 18.

Then from DSM to LH Mirror:
    C341C pin 1 (GN-VT) to C516 pin 16
    C341C pin 2 (VT-BN) to C516 pin 7

Then from DSM to RH Mirror:
    C341C pin 1 (GN-VT) to C622 pin 16
    C341C pin 2 (VT-BN) to C622 pin 7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C341C.jpg

Expy_Mirrors_1.jpg

Expy_Mirrors_2.jpg

Expy_Mirrors_3.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    The Wiped Cam and JExpedition07 like this.
  10. TXFRDOwner

C516.jpg C622.jpg Seat - Front Driver.jpg

Seat - Front Passenger.jpg

The Wiped Cam and JExpedition07 like this.