Power Fold mirrors -- how do they work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even if the wiring is there, I'm inclined to say that the DSM will require firmware update for powerfold also. if your dealership is anything like mine, they won't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

Exactly! We have to do it ourselves but first we need to figure out what the settings are. :(

Extremely sorry for the mixup.

No worries! :) Just trying to be clear for those reading this thread later (including me after I've totally forgotten everything we've discussed so far! LOL)

You mentioned earlier that you had as-built data for a truck equipped with power-fold mirrors. Do you have anything you can share on the settings in the DSM for that vehicle? Thanks! :D

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't find any info on DSM options or programming. Does anyone have codes for either Expedition or 2011-14 F-150 DSM options? Thanks! :)

You could lookup the As-built for two different VINs on the motorcraft/AsBuilt website and compare the Hex Values.
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

Grab one VIN with memory seat & no PF and the other VIN w/ memory + PF

The DSM values are listed under the 744 lines.

OP
OP
S

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well my truck (a 2017) has memory seats and memory mirrors with heat and turn signals, but not power-fold. I can provide data from my DSM. We just need data from a truck equipped with power-fold. I'm not very savvy looking up data on that site as I barely managed to get AS-BUILT for my own truck. LOL

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well my truck (a 2017) has memory seats and memory mirrors with heat and turn signals, but not power-fold. I can provide data from my DSM. We just need data from a truck equipped with power-fold. I'm not very savvy looking up data on that site as I barely managed to get AS-BUILT for my own truck. LOL

My 2016 has Powerfold , .. PM me your VIN. I'll pull both AsBuilts and post them

OP
OP
S

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well here's some info I found in a 2011-14 F-150 spreadsheet compared with the data from my truck. Note the first two lines. Hopefully this plus the data from your truck will help us nail this down once and for all! :)

DSM options.png

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2016 EL LIMITED w/ PF

For what it's worth, I recognize the "FC" as the powerfold indicator from doing my Fusion, ..but that's controlled by the DDM / PDM in the Fusion

16 Expy EL Limited PF.JPG

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pulled AsBuilt Data for 8 different Expedition VINs I found online. I picked a mix between 2015 and 2017 (limiteds, platinums and XLTs) some with P/F, some without but the one constant was memory seat...

Regardless of the year or Trim level, every one of them equipped with P/F came back with

744-01-01 FC50 99
744-02-01 004E

All we need now is a guinea pig, ... ;)

OP
OP
S

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Awesome, thank you! :D

Keep in mind, it's possible the DSM with power-fold is physically different than one without. This might account for that F150 owner (in the thread linked somewhere above) who had to swap his module. It would make more sense though if Ford had just one module (that should save them money). Still, stranger things have happened. . .

The Wiped Cam

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I just received these kittens in the mail.

IMG-20191231-144659.jpg

The story behind my experiment: I am related by blood to someone who owns a wrecking yard, and a Ford/Lincoln dealership. I hauled one "tech on a lunch break" to the wrecking yard, who brought the IDS laptop with her. We found and took apart the 2011 XLT-P and 2013 Limited there (because I have an '11 XLT-P at home), did some switcharoo, and unleashed the IDS tech upon the resultant product. The 2013 folding mirrors worked perfectly after the flash on the 2011 XLT-P. I was, and still am, so much convinced that it will work on my 2011 XLT-P too that I spent $300+ to purchase the above depicted mirrors without ever taking apart my own door trim and taking a look beforehand.

I will test the mirrors and the Forscan flash once it gets a little warmer out. A 2018 Expy and a Lincoln are currently sleeping in the heated garage right now :-/