Power running board is shot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The doors are steel on a 2010. There are plastic plugs at the bottom of the doors that many of us remove. Then the water drains from the doors.

Cool fix on the running boards.

Powerplay

Reaction score
Great idea drilling drain hole in board. Always noticed some water on the driveway as vehicle sat on incline. Had no idea the board could hold that much water. Mission today is to drill holes in both boards and lubricate again.

Thanks Bill!

Powerplay

Reaction score
Found the running board gear stripped, back to the drawing board. Used running board assembly with working motor is $250 at junk yard. Will add mudflaps to reduce road grime getting into motor behind steer tires. Would prefer to replace shaft and gear as new for longevity.

Lorlainie

Reaction score
I replaced the right side running board motor not too long ago. Bought on Amazon. Here is the part number for the driver's side. $86.98. Also, there is a small metal part on the bracket itself and if it out of place it will not let the running board retract. Quite tricky to do but with 2 people it can be done. Hope this helps.

9qautoparts 9L7Z16A507A Left Driver Side Running Board Motor Compatible for Lincoln Navigator Ford Expedition 2007-2014 FSM1P5 747-900
by 9qautoparts

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BTW either of these sources would be far better than dealing with Ford! They will only sell you the motor with the bracket attached. As I type this, the passenger side unit is listed for about $800. The driver's side is basically the same part (just a mirror image) but, in typical fashion, since they know it's more likely to fail (due to more frequent use) they price-gouge that part and it's listed for nearly $1300!!!

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced the right side running board motor not too long ago. Bought on Amazon. Here is the part number for the driver's side. $86.98. Also, there is a small metal part on the bracket itself and if it out of place it will not let the running board retract. Quite tricky to do but with 2 people it can be done. Hope this helps.

9qautoparts 9L7Z16A507A Left Driver Side Running Board Motor Compatible for Lincoln Navigator Ford Expedition 2007-2014 FSM1P5 747-900
by 9qautoparts

FYI, you can get them cheaper on eBay. Same Chinese manufacturer.

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My step was +90% closed and the wedge was frozen in place, at first. I hit the bolt head a few times with a hammer and it did not move until it dropped out by itself. The you tube vids mention not to the move the wedge bc it is difficult to reinstall ?? I believe it must be removed or have room to allow shaft to pass. I had to soak, heat, heat, did I say heat the aluminum bracket and 2lb hammer the shaft to drive it out of the the bracket with an old cylinder head bolt.
I stood the step vertical and let the bracket sit on a 2x3 then 4x4 as not to break it. see pic.
upload_2021-3-11_18-44-19.png upload_2021-3-11_18-44-44.png