Power Running Boards Acting Funny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So lately I have had several instances where the running boards either will not deploy fully, like stop halfway, or not retract fully. In every case, just closing and opening the door again will get it to work properly, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 cycles to correct. Has anybody else had this issue or know what is wrong. It is intermittent enough that it probably won't do any good to take it to the dealer yet.

mpc11

Reaction score
So lately I have had several instances where the running boards either will not deploy fully, like stop halfway, or not retract fully. In every case, just closing and opening the door again will get it to work properly, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 cycles to correct. Has anybody else had this issue or know what is wrong. It is intermittent enough that it probably won't do any good to take it to the dealer yet.

Mine just started doing this yesterday morning. Would go down all the way, but would only retract half way up when the door was closed. Tried several door closes to no avail. They were just greased and lubed last week.

Coincidentally I already had an appt at the dealer yesterday morning for a front driver’s side noise coming from axle/ inner cv joint area along with start up rattle for phasers or waste gate. They only retracted half way when I got there, so the advisor could see the problem. (Probably should have played the lotto yesterday since it started on a day I already had an appt and could replicate it while checking in with the advisor, which never happens!) Still waiting to hear back from the dealer, but will post back when I hear back or pick up and have the paperwork with info.

Last edited:

EdibleDegree

Reaction score
I have this same issue with mine. Its only affecting the passenger side right now. It will deploy okay but will not retract consistently.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Power running boards have been around for quite some time. You'd think they would be pretty robust now but they aren't. They are prone to issues and failures.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to turn mine off. Dealer wanted almost 2k to change the motors. That is for sure on area where some re-engineering could be useful.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to turn mine off. Dealer wanted almost 2k to change the motors. That is for sure on area where some re-engineering could be useful.

Do you know which of the 4 motors is bad? Each motor and assembly is approximately $290 each online per corner. Can't be hard to replace yourself.

JL1Z-16A506-H
JL1Z-16A507-G
JL1Z-16A506-F
JL1Z-16A507-E

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I picked mine up from the selling dealer they said it's a common problem but usually cured by hosing it off. They said that's what they mostly have to do to get them working again (and they don't charge for it if that's all it is!)

OP
OP
F

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I picked mine up from the selling dealer they said it's a common problem but usually cured by hosing it off. They said that's what they mostly have to do to get them working again (and they don't charge for it if that's all it is!)
Guess I need to break out the pressure washer.

mpc11

Reaction score
Mine just started doing this yesterday morning. Would go down all the way, but would only retract half way up when the door was closed. Tried several door closes to no avail. They were just greased and lubed last week.

Coincidentally I already had an appt at the dealer yesterday morning for a front driver’s side noise coming from axle/ inner cv joint area along with start up rattle for phasers or waste gate. They only retracted half way when I got there, so the advisor could see the problem. (Probably should have played the lotto yesterday since it started on a day I already had an appt and could replicate it while checking in with the advisor, which never happens!) Still waiting to hear back from the dealer, but will post back when I hear back or pick up and have the paperwork with info.
Advisor said they acted up a few more times, then just started working. Their answer was a small rock or something must have gotten up in there and worked it's way out. I don't buy it as it retracted fine when I parked the car in my garage for the rest of the day and overnight and then started acting up the next morning the first time I got in it. They greased them again and at least it's documented. Several door closes since getting it back yesterday (before it goes back next week for VCT's under the TSB) and no issues though. Yet..