Power steering pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
04 5.4L...What are the signs that the power steering pump is about to go out? Out of nowhere at times while driving the wheel is tougher to turn... feels like I'm low on power steering fluid... it's good to go... so I'm thinking the pump is about to go... but I remember a couple of ppl had steering wheel probs... so I'm trying to diagnose this...how can I test the steering wheel pump? It is 14 yrs old so I'm really thinning it's time for it to go

Please advise

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

03 exp

Reaction score
Yeah probably is the pump! Specially if it does it at low speeds

1969 Bulldog

Reaction score
Not saying that this is your problem, but I had air in my system. Don't know how it happened, but I had everything flushed & it solved it for me. My symptoms were that when I was making a turn, the steering wheel would jerk in my hands. That was a few years ago at less than 100k. I have over 140k on the truck now and haven't had the problem since.

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta find time to get at it

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So did some diagnosing... going to start with the steering shaft since it's known to bind up from being so old... it's only 2 bolts and easier to change...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Besides doing the pressure test, check tire pressures! If your tires are low, under 30 lbs, it will contribute to the problem. Are you hearing any groaning noises when turning left/right? With engine running and warm, remove p/s cap turn left right see if fluid flows. Also check tension/ condition of belt. A loose or bad worn belt won't help. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides doing the pressure test, check tire pressures! If your tires are low, under 30 lbs, it will contribute to the problem. Are you hearing any groaning noises when turning left/right? With engine running and warm, remove p/s cap turn left right see if fluid flows. Also check tension/ condition of belt. A loose or bad worn belt won't help. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All those are good...none of the issues you've mentioned