Power steering reservoir

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a screen or mesh inside the power steering reservoir that if dirty could restrict flow? My pump groans now that the ambient temp is in the single digits, it improves once it's fully warmed up or ambient goes up. I'm wondering if it's a bit starved for fluid when it's really cold out and the fluid is thicker. Fluid level is midway between min-max lines.

Esat

Reaction score
Is there a screen or mesh inside the power steering reservoir that if dirty could restrict flow? My pump groans now that the ambient temp is in the single digits, it improves once it's fully warmed up or ambient goes up. I'm wondering if it's a bit starved for fluid when it's really cold out and the fluid is thicker. Fluid level is midway between min-max lines.
Try a flush on the system, if you have any moisture becoming a problem in cold days by freezing in the lines, this can get rid of it

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do plan on flushing this weekend. For what it's worth I exchanged the fluid (not the same as flush) on 2/1/18. I'd still like to know if there is mesh/screen inside the reservoir before I jump in.

Esat

Reaction score
I do plan on flushing this weekend. For what it's worth I exchanged the fluid (not the same as flush) on 2/1/18. I'd still like to know if there is mesh/screen inside the reservoir before I jump in.
In Mercedes I definitely know there's a filter but I don't know this one.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Their should be. Pretty much all reservoir tanks have one. A lot of people replace pumps, when in fact the screen is clogged blocking flow. I can't find a pic of the screen for our SUVs. Maybe another can print it. Dirty fluid and time will block flow. Older Ford's/Lincoln's are famous for the cold start power steering whine. Flushing might brake up the gunk, but like tranny's isn't recommended.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Moose, I'll likely remove the reservoir altogether for cleaning in that case.

There is a power steering system flushing procedure outlined in the shop manual, but it might only be called for in case of fluid contamination. Basically it's just detaching the fluid return line (and temporarily plugging the hole) at the reservoir and operating the pump while keeping enough fluid in the reservoir to feed the pump. But I didn't catch any references to the screen/filter, so I used a life line and phoned a group of friends via this forum.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd pull the pump/reservoir if the lines come off easy, and clean it out good. From videos and just experience, I'd take my time, and clear out as much crud as you can. Just be sure to put back in the right fluid. Can't remember what year your Expedition was? 97-05 calls for Mercon.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2003 and it lived down a gravel road for a decade

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is Dex/Merc the right stuff or should I go up to Mercon V, per that service bulletin whenever they quit making original Mercon.

I have several quarts of this already sitting on the shelf.
DEX-MERC-ATF.ashx

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its been my experience that most (ie: not all) power steering reservoirs have a non-serviceable screen at the bottom. One-way, meaning on the supply side to the pump. The return line usually feeds fluid back into the reservoir above this filter.

Ford's part number for a new reservoir is 5L3Z3A697AA.

On Rock Auto, for example, Cardone makes a replacement - $20.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...411108,steering,power+steering+reservoir,7378

About every year or two I use a turkey baster to empty the reservoir as much as I can, add fresh power steering fluid, drive around a few minutes with lock to lock turns, repeat 3-4 times until I've used up the new quart of PS fluid. I use Prestone brand fluid, which is clear. As it ages/gets dirty it turns yellowish. With transmission fluid, in my experience, its always nice and red - giving no indication its time to replace.

One *could* remove their reservoir and try backflushing the supply side to clear a clogged filter, but thats just messy and a replacement is too inexpensive. Not only that, no reason to run the risk of the filter tearing.