PremiumCare Coverage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Groover

Reaction score
I have PremiumCare and my vehicle started misfiring on the freeway. I had it towed to the dealer. The result:

Diagnostic fee
Needs new sparkplugs
"emission control valve"

They told me the "emission control valve" is not covered under the ESP but looking at the PremiumCare brochure it specifically lists the "EGR control valve" in the emissions section.

Are there two valves in the emissions system? Could it be that there is a covered valve and a non-covered valve? I thought that they put the part number into a system (Oasis?) and it says covered or not covered? If so that sounds pretty fool proof to me.

My understanding is that a diagnostic fee is not charged for diagnosing covered components, however in this case if the valve is covered then there is a mixture of covered and not covered. How is that handled?

Picking up the car tomorrow.

Thanks!

OP
OP
G

Groover

Reaction score
I looked at the terms and conditions for PremiumCARE - it says "all failures" are covered except for a list of exceptions. The list of exceptions are "wear items", cosmetic, if the vehicle has no VIN, has been used as a stationary power source, is a pre-existing condition, etc. Nowhere is any component of the emissions system excluded unless it is a "wear item". I can't imagine that a valve is a wear item.

So I guess I will have to go and argue with the dealership when I go to pick up.... sigh....

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I guess I will have to go and argue with the dealership
You can do it i have faith in you. (Take your proof with you)
All kidding aside you have to argue for everything these days because they make money when people are not argumentative which is absoultly wrong because you paid for it without a argument.
Go give them hell and make them give you something extra for having to waist your time arguing for somethig you already paid for.
DON'T COME BACK WITHOUT IT!

OP
OP
G

Groover

Reaction score
When I got to the dealer I found out they had also changed the coil packs/boots and they were also not covered. My service advisor was out to lunch so I went to see the Service Director.

I asked him why the coil packs and purge valve were not covered. He went to his system that checks coverage, entered the part numbers and they came back as not covered. He then printed both pages out to show me that his system was saying 'no' along with the details of my coverage in the system. He did admit that he was suprised they were not covered and couldn't explain why.

I then pulled out my terms and conditions and asked him (politely) to show me which exclusions they fell under. I phrased this along the lines of "if they are not covered that is fine I just want to understand why". He only gave them a cursory glance before deciding to call the Ford ESP department to ask them.

He was on hold for an hour so we chit-chatted about common Expedition problems such as the cam phasers.

Finally he got through to someone and I couldn't hear the other end of the call but it was a lot of going over the part numbers multiple times, my details multiple times, back to the part numbers again, a description of the work done, back to the part numbers again before giving me the outcome.

The Ford ESP department covered the coil packs and the purge valve but to do so they had to get the dealer to put a different part number for the valve into the claim. The service director didn't understand why but he said he wasn't going to question it! I didn't get to the bottom of the coil packs being initially denied.

The outcome - the coil packs, purge valve and diagnostic fee were all removed from my bill and I just had to pay for the spark plugs and installation of the plugs. My $50 deductible was added. A total savings of about $550.

There wasn't a hint of defensiveness from the service director - he seemed as confused as I was.

Last edited:

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The outcome - the coil packs, purge valve and diagnostic fee were all removed from my bill and I just had to pay for the spark plugs and installation of the plugs. My $50 deductible was added. A total savings of about $550.

Wow that just sad that it took all that to get what was rightfully covered. But at least they did take the time to find out. (Some dealer stories on here are way worse) Good to hear the outcome was better but still i think they owe you for your time.
Thank you for the follow up here.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my Ford Extend Care Premium warranty for my 2015 Expedition during repairs (but different parts).

The service advisor stated that they can only determine if a part (and subsequent labor) is covered by entering the part number in the Ford computer. The service department could not tell me what and what is not covered under my Ford extended-care warranty.

Another time, during oil change service and tire rotation, I was told that 20 of the original wheel lug nuts were swollen and need to be replaced (I live in the Midwest with snow and salt used for road clearing). I was told the lug nuts were not covered under the warranty as they were considered “wear items.

One of many reasons not to buy another new Ford and an extended warranty through Ford.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my Ford Extend Care Premium warranty for my 2015 Expedition during repairs (but different parts).

The service advisor stated that they can only determine if a part (and subsequent labor) is covered by entering the part number in the Ford computer. The service department could not tell me what and what is not covered under my Ford extended-care warranty.

Another time, during oil change service and tire rotation, I was told that 20 of the original wheel lug nuts were swollen and need to be replaced (I live in the Midwest with snow and salt used for road clearing). I was told the lug nuts were not covered under the warranty as they were considered “wear items.

One of many reasons not to buy another new Ford and an extended warranty through Ford.
Same exact thing happened to me with regard to the battery harness on 2017 Expy except they refused to cover the repair. Ive had manufacturers premium extended warrantys on all of the (9) vehicles Ive purchased in the last 15 years. Ive have had many claims and NEVER run into this kind of crap. Really upsetting, might as well save the $$$$ buying the warranty and just use that money to pay the repair bills.