Press Brake to Start, after changing brake light switch.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

feelthemusic8

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm having an issue with my 2015 expedition.

I changed the brake light switch due to an issue where the brake lights were staying on while the vehicle was off.

After replacement, the truck will not start. It just says "press Brake to Start" in the display. But pressing the brake doesn't help.

So far I have tried:

1- bought a third switch, installed with same result

2- disconnected battery for 1 hour

3- left the switch plug connected, but not installed onto the brake pedal so that the brake is not pressing the switch.

4- tried manually operating the switch with my hand

5- checked all fuses that I felt could be related. They all were fine.

The remote start still works. The truck starts up normally, but I can't put it in gear because, even though it is running, I get the same message required to start to vehicle.

Any advice? I'm at a loss at this point. It seemed like it should have been an easy fix.

Thank you

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OP
OP
F

feelthemusic8

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I did do that adjustment procedure each time I installed the new switch. Same results. Truck won't start.

Plati

Reaction score
This probably doesn't solve your problem, but maybe that original brake light switch wasn't the original problem? So maybe putting a new one in wouldn't help?

OP
OP
F

feelthemusic8

Reaction score
True. Could be, but when I had the original problem, the car would start without a problem. The brake lights wouldn't turn off.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try plugging the original switch back in and see if goes back to the way it was before you started. If it still doesn’t start then it could be a loose wire in the harness connector like Motorcity suggested caused by the first unplugging of the original switch.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm having an issue with my 2015 expedition.

I changed the brake light switch due to an issue where the brake lights were staying on while the vehicle was off.

After replacement, the truck will not start. It just says "press Brake to Start" in the display. But pressing the brake doesn't help.

So far I have tried:

1- bought a third switch, installed with same result

2- disconnected battery for 1 hour

3- left the switch plug connected, but not installed onto the brake pedal so that the brake is not pressing the switch.

4- tried manually operating the switch with my hand

5- checked all fuses that I felt could be related. They all were fine.

The remote start still works. The truck starts up normally, but I can't put it in gear because, even though it is running, I get the same message required to start to vehicle.

Any advice? I'm at a loss at this point. It seemed like it should have been an easy fix.

Thank you
Did you get it figured out?